Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Management
Under Secretary of Homeland Security
The Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Management is a high level civilian official in the United States Department of Homeland Security. The Under Secretary, as head of the Management Directorate at DHS, is the principal staff assistant and adviser to both the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security for all aspects of DHS administration, finance, and personnel issues.
The Under Secretary is appointed from civilian life by the President with the consent of the Senate to serve at the pleasure of the President. The current Under Secretary is Rafael Borras who was appointed by President Barack Obama in April 2010.
The Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Management (USHS(M)), as the chief operating officer of the Department, is responsible for Department-wide administrative support services and oversight for all support functions, including: IT, budget and financial management, procurement and acquisition, human capital, security, and administrative services. The Under Secretary also provides the overarching management structure for the Department to deliver customer services, while eliminating redundancies and reducing support costs in order to more effectively and efficiently run the Department in a unified manner
With the rank of Under Secretary, the USHS(S&T) is a Level III position within the Executive Schedule. Since January 2010, the annual rate of pay for Level III is $165,300.
Officials reporting to the USHS(M) include:
- Deputy Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Management
- DHS Chief Financial Officer
- DHS Chief Security Officer
- DHS Chief Human Capital Officer
- DHS Chief Administrative Officer
- DHS Chief Procurement Officer
- DHS Chief Information Officer
|Line Item||FY12 Actual||FY13 Actual||FY14 Request|
- http://www.dhs.gov/person/rafael-borras Rafael Borras Official DHS Biography]
- DHS Fiscal Year (FY) 2014 Budget Budget in Brief, pg 94, Department of Homeland Security, Access Date: 2013-07-15