Under the Sheets
|"Under the Sheets"|
|Single by Ellie Goulding|
|from the album Lights|
|Released||9 November 2009|
|Ellie Goulding singles chronology|
"Under the Sheets" is a song by English recording artist Ellie Goulding from her debut album, Lights (2010). Produced by Starsmith, it was released as the album's lead single. The song premiered on Huw Stephens's BBC Radio 1 show on 30 September 2009 and was released on the UK iTunes Store on 15 November 2009, peaking at number fifty-three on the UK Singles Chart. It was also used to promote the second season of 90210 on E4 in the UK. According to Goulding, the single was released on independent label Neon Gold Records rather than Polydor so that she would not be put under too much pressure.
["Under the Sheets"] was probably the easiest song I've written, but actually when I listen back to the lyrics they are actually quite meaningful. They are about a girl and a guy who are in a relationship but it's a very dark relationship in that it's only based on being physical. It's not like a sexual song, it's more like shows that some relationships are based on nothing that is real, they are not based on something good. I've had that experience in my life, because you're trying to cling on to something that you know you're in denial. That's what the song is about in that you know the world won't bring us down, you can be as happy as Larry inside your house with your boyfriend or lover, but as soon as you step outside you're in the real world and you have to deal with it.
Digital Spy music editor Nick Levine rated "Under the Sheets" four out of five stars, writing that it is "that bit more magical than the average electropop tune, managing to sound twinkly and chunky at the same time, and the chorus is pretty much irresistible." He also described Goulding's voice as "pure, girlish and as fluttery as a butterfly trapped in a cupboard." The Guardian reviewer Alexis Petridis called it "a mildly anxious relationship memoir made over with digitised strings, breeze-block synths and crashing 1980s drums."
Fraser McAlpine of the BBC Chart Blog praised the track as an "immaculate frostypop masterpiece" and stated, "From the first 'like all the boys, boys, boys, boys' to the final go around on the pleading chorus, Ellie's voice dominates. There is barely a second of music which does not feature her vocal in some way, either as a muffled pixie choir, a lead instrument, or a soft, tumbledown wail in the background." Mark Beaumont from the NME cited the song as one of Lights' "spangliest tracks" along with "Starry Eyed", further commenting that it sees Goulding "in more bruised and bitter mood as producer Starsmith feeds her vulnerable vocals through an Auto-Tune the size of the Large Hadron Collider."
The music video for "Under the Sheets" was directed by the Lennox Brothers and released on 22 October 2009. It opens with Goulding's hands playing a drum, to her with a black background, then leaving a bed occupied by an unknown male and walking though a brick building surrounded by different versions of herself. She can be seen sitting on the floor, playing guitar, writing her lyrics in her socks, riding a vintage bicycle and swinging in a hanging chair all simultaneously. She is also seen playing drums covered in glitter, and while sitting in a wicker chair a close shot of Goulding's hand with a heart drawn on the inside of her fingers is shown with her fingers opening and closing. Throughout the video Goulding wears a sequin top and high-top kicks and a plain shirt.
- UK iTunes EP
- "Under the Sheets" – 3:46
- "Fighter Plane" – 4:24
- "Under the Sheets" (Jakwob Remix) – 5:36
- "Under the Sheets" (Pariah Remix) – 4:50
- UK 7" limited edition single
- A. "Under the Sheets" – 3:46
- B. "Fighter Plane" – 4:24
- "Under the Sheets" – 3:44
- "Guns and Horses" (Live at Metropolis Studios) – 3:48
Credits adapted from the liner notes of Lights.
- Ellie Goulding – vocals, acoustic guitar
- Charlie Morton – additional acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Naweed – mastering
- Starsmith – bass, drum programming, keyboards, production
- Mark "Spike" Stent – mixing
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||3|
|Denmark Airplay (Tracklisten)||2|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||91|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||53|
|United Kingdom||9 November 2009||7" single||Neon Gold Records|
|15 November 2009||Digital download||Polydor Records|
|Germany||3 September 2010|
|17 September 2010||CD single|
- "Neon Gold Beat Company: WRONG FROM THE START.". Neon Gold Records. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2009. "In other news, the wonderful Huw Stephens will be premiering 'Under The Sheets' [...] on Radio 1 tonight."
- "Under the Sheets – EP by Ellie Goulding". iTunes Store UK. Apple. Archived from the original on 22 December 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Ellie Goulding's spiritual home". BBC News Wales. BBC News Online. 17 November 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Under The Sheets by Ellie Goulding". Songfacts. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- Levine, Nick (16 November 2009). "Ellie Goulding: 'Under The Sheets'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- Petrides, Alexis (25 February 2010). "Ellie Goulding: Lights". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- McAlpine, Fraser (16 November 2009). "Ellie Goulding – 'Under The Sheets'". BBC Chart Blog. Retrieved 19 December 2009.
- Beaumont, Mark (28 February 2010). "Album review: Ellie Goulding – 'Lights' (Polydor)". NME. IPC Media. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- Knight, David (29 October 2009). "Ellie Goulding's Under The Sheets by Lennox Brothers". Promo News. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- "Ellie Goulding – Under the Sheets (2009)". IMVDb. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Under the Sheets (2-Track)" (in German). Amazon.de. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "Under the Sheets – Single by Ellie Goulding". iTunes Store Germany. Apple. Retrieved 23 October 2010.
- Lights (CD liner notes). Ellie Goulding. Polydor Records. 2010. 2732799.
- "Ultratop.be – Ellie Goulding – Under The Sheets" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "Ellie Goulding – Under The Sheets Hitlisten.nu" (in Danish). Tracklisten. Retrieved 4 October 2010.
- "Ellie Goulding – Under The Sheets". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Ellie Goulding" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Neon Gold Beat Company: LIKE ALL THE BOYS BEFORE.". Neon Gold Records. 9 November 2009. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Under the Sheets – EP by Ellie Goulding". iTunes Store Belgium. Apple. Archived from the original on 23 December 2009. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "ELLIE GOULDING | Under The Sheets" (in German). Universal Music Germany. Retrieved 23 October 2010.