Underwear as outerwear
|This article or section may be slanted towards recent events. (October 2011)|
||This article needs attention from an expert in Fashion. (February 2010)|
Wearing underwear as outerwear is a fashion trend. Current examples include the display of thongs and bras in women's clothing, and the display of underpants under low-slung pants in men. As of 2009, the visible wearing of corsets had become fashionable, popularized by stage performers such as Lady Gaga and Rihanna.
The idea of underwear as outerwear is part of the deconstruction of trends that has taken place in the 20th and 21st century. Part of the popularity of this trend was brought about by a couple of contemporary lingerie brands such as VPL and The Lake and Stars, and with that concept being heralded by the days modern intimates designers as part of an effort to grab at the elusive ring of crossing over categories. These two brands in particular have been successful in straddling the line between underwear as outerwear by marketing to a contemporary customer who this look appeals to.
From high fashion to mainstream, the popularity of this trend has been fueled by celebrities who actually do wear lingerie and intimate apparel as clothing. This is nothing new, as Madonna began the trend in the '80s by wearing her cone bra and girdles over her clothing. But it has been picked up in everyday environments as depicted on shows like Sex and the City, in which a corset, bustier, or bra peeking through becomes an accepted norm. In addition some performers like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, and Lady Gaga perform with underwear or lingerie only, which can be credited with popularizing coverage of this fashion trend in the news and press. This celebrity driven trend is then picked up by fashion magazines and fashion blogs as the "underwear as outwear" trend and promoted as a mainstream style.
The wearing of underwear as outerwear has historical antecedents in the display of undergarments in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
- Claudia Croft (December 20, 2009). "Underwear is the new outerwear". Times Online. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Alice Fisher (Sunday 29 November 2009). "Underwear as outerwear". The Observer. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Jess Carter-Morely (Saturday 16 January 2010). "How to dress: Don't get your knickers in a twist". Guardian Online. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Fashion trend for underwear as outerwear sparks 20% rise in sales of nipple covers". Daily Mail. 3 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Lisa Jardine (24 October 2008). "Underwear as outerwear". BBC News. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Tove Hermanson (September 1, 2009). "Innerwear as Outerwear". Thread for Thought blog.
- Pegah (April 1, 2013). "Henry and June Madonna Collection". Lingerie Journal.
|This fashion-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|