Union Election Commission
|Union Election Commission (UEC)|
|ပြည်ထောင်စု ရွေးကောက်ပွဲ ကော်မရှင်|
|Formed||March 8, 2010|
|Commission executives||Tin Aye, Chairman
Win Ko, Secretary
The Union Electoral Commission (Burmese: ပြည်ထောင်စု ရွေးကောက်ပွဲ ကော်မရှင်, abbreviated UEC) is the national level electoral commission of Myanmar (Burma), responsible for organizing and overseeing elections in Burma, as well as vetting parliamentary candidates and political parties. The commission's 18 members were formally appointed on 11 March 2010.
The Union Electoral Commission is mandated by the Union Electoral Commission Law, enacted on 8 March 2010.
The UEC's members are appointed by the government, and must meet the following qualifications:
- 50 years of age or older
- a good public reputation, as determined by the government
- dignity, integrity and experience
- loyalty to the State and its citizens
- not affiliated to any political parties
- not hold any office or draw compensation as such
- Tin Aye (Chairman)
- Myint Naing (Member)
- Aung Myint (Member)
- Dr. Myint Kyi (Member)
- Win Kyi (Member)
- Nyunt Tin (Member)
- Win Ko (Member)
- Tin Tun (Secretary)
The UEC has been criticized for its powers to abolish elections in conflict areas. The UEC's first chairman was Thein Soe, a former major-general, an appointment that was derided by media. On 18 February 2011, Tin Aye, a former lieutenant-general and member of the State Peace and Development Council, was appointed by the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw, to replace Thein Soe.
It has also been criticized by various advocacy groups and the United Nations for its lack of independence and impartiality, in its handling of recent elections. The UN has also noted the UEC's failure to follow up on electoral complaints, including voting procedures.
- "Election Commission". Mizzima Election 2010 (Mizzima). Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Situation of human rights in Myanmar". Report of the Secretary-General (United Nations General Assembly). 14 September 2010.
- "Union Election Commission Law". New Light of Myanmar. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Profiles of Union Election Commission Members". Burma Election 2010 (The Irrawaddy). 23 March 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Myanmar junta to hand-pick election body". AFP. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Burma laws condemned as a 'mockery' of democracy". Angola Press. March 11, 2010.
- Shwe Yinn Mar Oo (21 February 2011). "Former MP to lead commission". Myanmar Times. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Burma’s by-elections: still short of international standards". Alternative Asean Network on Burma. 2012. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- Situation of human rights in Myanmar. Sixty-sixth session Third Committee: United Nations General Assembly. 28 October 2011.