Union Township, Miami County, Ohio
|Union Township, Ohio|
|• Total||48.8 sq mi (126.3 km2)|
|• Land||48.5 sq mi (125.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||210.8/sq mi (81.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086644|
Union Township is one of the twelve townships of Miami County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 10,222 people in the township, 4,673 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Newton Township - north
- Concord Township - northeast
- Monroe Township - east
- Clayton - southeast
- Clay Township, Montgomery County - southwest
- Monroe Township, Darke County - west
- Franklin Township, Darke County - northwest corner
Several populated places are located in Union Township:
- Laura, a village in the northwest
- Ludlow Falls, a village in the north
- Potsdam, a village in the west
- Part of Union, a city in the southeast
- West Milton, a village in the center
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Milton-Union High School serves the township (which has a unified school district).
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Miami County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.