Uniondale, New York
|Uniondale, New York|
|• Total||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Land||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0968229|
Uniondale is a hamlet (and census-designated place) as well as a suburb of New York City in Nassau County, New York, United States, on Long Island, in the Town of Hempstead. The population was 24,759 at the 2010 United States Census.
Uniondale is located at (40.703097, -73.591070).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2), all land. It is a diverse hamlet and neighbors the diverse towns of Hempstead, Roosevelt, and Freeport.
|This article is outdated. (April 2013)|
As of the 2000 census, there were 23,011 people, 6,026 households, and 4,826 families residing in Uniondale. The population density was 8,676.5 per square mile (3,352.7/km²). There were 6,201 housing units at an average density of 2,338.1/sq mi (903.5/km²).
The racial makeup of Uniondale is 26.97% White, 55.53% Black, 0.35% Native American, 2.10% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 9.95% from other races, and 5.01% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 22.86% of the population. Non-Hispanic whites were 17.63% of the population. Uniondale's Black/African American population includes a high concentration of Caribbean immigrants.
There were 6,026 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.9% were married couples living together, 20.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 16.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.66 and the average family size was 3.95.
In the village, the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 29.3% from 25 to 44, 21.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 90.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.5 males.
The median income for a household in Uniondale is $61,410, and the median income for a family was $67,264. Males had a median income of $32,417 versus $31,169 for females. Uniondale's per capita income is $19,069. About 6.0% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.0% of those under age 18 and 12.9% of those age 65 or over.
Uniondale is home to the NHL's New York Islanders, who have played at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum since 1972. The 2014-2015 season will be their final year at the Coliseum before the team's move to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, about 25 miles away.
Two scenes from the movie The Godfather were filmed in Mitchel Field, which is part of the Uniondale School District but the Garden City Postal Zone.
- JDC Films, known for its documentary "My Block: Strong Island" is based in Uniondale.
- Richard Blais, an American chef, reality show contestant, restaurateur and author. He was the runner-up of the fourth season of the reality television show Top Chef and the winner of season eight, Top Chef: All-Stars.
- Brimstone, professional wrestler, actor, and author, grew up in Uniondale.
- Edward Goljan, M.D., pathologist, professor, and USMLE/COMLEX Board Review Teacher, grew up in Uniondale.
- Gary Dell'Abate, also known as Baba Booey, longtime producer of The Howard Stern Show, grew up in Uniondale.
- John Moschitta, Jr., credited in Guinness World Records as the world's fastest talker, with the ability to articulate 586 words per minute, and featured as the fast-talking executive in FedEx commercials
- Andrew Quarless attended Uniondale High School and plays for the Green Bay Packers as of September 2011.
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Broadway actress and singer.
- Busta Rhymes, rapper
- Michael Nardoti, Major General, West Point Graduate, American Lawyer, born 1947
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UniondaleNY/