|Origin||New York, United States|
|Past members||Deems J. Smith
Darryl K. Henry
Unique was a short-lived post-disco studio act from New York, best known for their crossover number "What I Got Is What You Need" released in 1983 for a well-established dance label, Prelude Records. The group was formed by producer/songwriter Deems J. Smith in 1982 and consists of Smith and Darryl K. Henry. The said hit song somewhat established itself on the Billboard Dance Singles and Black Singles charts and even scored over the atlantic reaching No. 27 on UK Singles Chart.
Around 1982, Deems with other studio musicians was signed to dance record label Prelude under the name Unique and released two singles for the same label: "What I Got Is What You Need" in 1983 and "You Make Me Feel So Good" in 1984.
Their most successful track "What I Got Is What You Need" has been reissued on various compilation albums, for example: Dance Mix - Dance Hits Volume 2 (1983, CBS), Essential 80's Garage Dancefloor Classics Volume 1 (1994, Deepbeats), Ferry Maat's Soul Show: Saturday Night Grooves (2005, Disky), and on Prelude's Greatest Hits - Volume 3 (Unidisc).
|Year||Title||Label||Peak chart positions|
|U.S.||U.S. Dance||U.S. R&B||UK|
|1983||"What I Got Is What You Need"||Prelude
|1984||"You Make Me Feel So Good"||Prelude||―||―||―||―|
- "What I Got Is What You Need"
- "You Make Me Feel So Good"
- Unique (band) at AllMusic. Retrieved July 1, 2009
- "'What I Got Is What You Need' at ChartStats". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- "search for "Unique" chart performance on EveryHit.com". EveryHit. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- "AMG: Unique - Billboard charts". All Music Guide. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/hip-hop singles, 1942-2004 (5th ed.). California, U.S.: Record Research Inc., 2004 (originally) the University of California). p. 598. ISBN 0-89820-160-8.
- "Unique discography". Discogs. Retrieved 2009-07-01.