Unit Citation for Gallantry
|Unit Citation for Gallantry|
insignia worn if a member of the unit when earned (left)
and if joined after (right)
|Awarded by Australia|
|Eligibility||Australian military units|
|Awarded for||Extraordinary gallantry in action|
|Established||15 January 1991|
|First awarded||27 November 2004|
|Last awarded||4 March 2014|
|Related||Commendation for Gallantry|
The Unit Citation for Gallantry is a collective group decoration awarded to members of Australian military units. It recognises extraordinary gallantry in action. The Unit Citation for Gallantry was created in 1991, along with the Meritorious Unit Citation. The actual citation is a warrant presented to the unit. Insignia are worn by individuals to denote their membership of a unit that has been awarded a citation. Personnel cannot be issued with the insignia until the authorised unit representative, normally the Commanding Officer, has been formally invested with the citation.
As of March 2014, four awards have been made:
- The Australian Army No.1 Special Air Service Squadron.
- The 4th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (Commando).
- Awarded 26 October 2007
- Citation states: For acts of extraordinary gallantry in action in Afghanistan, from 25 August 2005 to 2 September 2006, in support of security and stabilisation operations in Afghanistan and the International Coalition against Terrorism. During the course of the operation, the Task Group fought a series of precarious battles and skirmishes against a resourceful enemy. The Task Group was also able to successfully neutralise the enemy on a number occasions in previously impenetrable sanctuary areas. With clear, strategic combat duties, the Task Group quickly stamped their authority in the combat region despite being in the heartland of the Taliban and Anti Coalition Militia. During the 374 day deployment, the combat element spent 309 days in the field undertaking over 100 missions resulting in 139 combat engagements with the enemy ranging from small skirmishes to full scale battles.
- The Delta Company, 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.
- HMAS Yarra II.
- Awarded 4 March 2014
- Citation states: acts of extraordinary gallantry in action in 1942.
- The insignia of a Unit Citation for Gallantry is a gilt sterling-silver rectangular frame (32mm x 15mm) with a design of flames emanating from the edge to the centre. The frame surrounds a ribbon bar of deep green, which may display a gilt sterling-silver Federation Star (7mm diameter) at its centre.
- Members attached to the unit when the citation is awarded wear it with the Federation Star, and continue to wear this after leaving the unit. Members who subsequently join the unit wear the citation without the Federation Star, and discontinue wearing it after leaving the unit.