United Bank for Africa
|Industry||Financial Services, Banking, Investment Services|
|Headquarters||UBA House, 57 Marina, P.O. Box 2406, Lagos Nigeria|
|Key people||Joe Keshi
Group Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer
Deputy Managing Director
Internet banking U-Direct
Non-Resident African Banking
UBA is a large financial services provider in Nigeria with subsidiaries in 20 sub-Saharan countries, with representative offices in France, the United Kingdom and the United States. It offers universal banking services to more than 7 million customers across 626 branches. Formed by the merger of the commercially focused UBA and the retail focused Standard Trust Bank in 2005, the Bank purports to have a clear ambition to be the dominant and leading financial services provider in Africa. Listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1970, UBA claims to be rapidly evolving into a pan-African full service financial institution. The Group adopted the holding company model in July 2011.As of December 2011[update], the valuation of UBA Group's total assets was approximately US$12.3 billion (NGN:1.94 trillion), with shareholders' equity of about US$1.07 billion (NGN:170 billion).
Today's United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is the product of the merger of Nigeria's third (3rd) and fifth (5th) largest banks, namely the old UBA and the erstwhile Standard Trust Bank Plc (STB) respectively, and a subsequent acquisition of the erstwhile Continental Trust Bank Limited (CTB). The union emerged as the first successful corporate combination in the history of Nigerian banking.
UBA's history dates back to 1948 when the British and French Bank Limited ("BFB") commenced business in Nigeria and the erstwhile STB and CTB both in 1990. Following Nigeria's independence from Britain, UBA was incorporated in 1961 to take over the business of BFB.
UBA is listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, where it is publicly traded under the symbol:UBA.
Recent Press Release
UBA Wins African Bank of the Year, Dominates At Banker Awards In London
The Banker Magazine, a publication of Financial Times, has named United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), the Bank of the Year, Africa. UBA carted home the regional award for the continent at the Banker Awards ceremony in London, joining the ranks of other regional winners like Scotiabank-Global Americas, Nordea-Western Europe, Raiffeisen Bank International -Central and Eastern Europe, DBS-Asia\Pacific and Qatar National Bank-Middle East.
- United States
- UBA New York – Regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, is a member of the United States Federal Reserve System. Its balance sheet size is in excess of US$1.3 billion.
- United Kingdom
- UBA United Kingdom
- UBA Capital Europe - Established as UK regulated investment banking operation in January 2008.
- UBA Benin
- UBA Burkina Faso
- UBA Cameroon S.A. – Cameroon represents UBA's first operational base in Central Africa, commencing operations in December 2007.
- UBA Chad
- UBA Congo Brazzaville - Started Operations In January 2011.
- UBA Congo Kinshasa (DRC)
- UBA Côte d'Ivoire – UBA CDI effectively commenced business in June 2008.
- UBA Gabon
- UBA Ghana Limited – commenced operations in 2004 and now operates from 16 branches.
- UBA Guinea
- UBA Kenya
- UBA Liberia – It began operations in July 2008.
- UBA Mali
- UBA Mozambique
- UBA Senegal
- UBA Sierra Leone – Commenced active operations in July 2008 in Sierra Leone.
- UBA Tanzania
- UBA Uganda Limited – Represents UBA's pioneer country activities in the Eastern and Southern African sub-regions. It commenced operations in May 2008.
- UBA Zambia
Notable Awards and Landmarks
- UBA Firsts
- UBA was the first among international banks to be registered under Nigerian Law in 1961.
- UBA is the first Nigerian bank to offer an IPO following its listing on the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 1970.
- UBA is the first Nigerian Bank to introduce a Cheque Guarantee Scheme - the first cheque guarantee card in the history of innovative banking services by any Bank in Nigeria, known as UBACARD in 1986.
- UBA is the first and only Nigerian Bank to obtain a banking license in the Cayman Islands -1988.
- First ever and only Nigeria bank to hit the NGN1 trillion balance sheet size (including contingents).
- UBA is the first Nigerian bank to embark on a GDR programme in 1990.
- UBA is the First bank in Nigeria to institute a foundation - UBA Foundation; the Corporate Social Responsibility arm of the UBA Group.
- UBA Introduced First Visa Dual Currency Debit Card in Nigeria.
- UBA and MoneyGram open first dedicated MoneyGram location in Nigeria.
- United Bank for Africa (UBA) attained a landmark achievement when it interconnected its 428 branches making it the bank with largest online real time branch network in Nigeria and Africa. An integration process that was completed months below the normal industry average of 36 months.
- Successful underwriting of the first 100 percent local funding of an ExxonMobil/NNPC Joint Venture Project.
- UBA launches Nigeria's First Cash Deposit ATMs
- UBA Awards
- Best Customer Care Award by Ghana Banking Awards in 2009.
- UBA GIS wins Money Markets' Innovation Award for West Africa 
- Ranked one of Top 10 banks in sub-Saharan Africa by the Banker magazine published by the Times of London 
- UBA Appoints New Chairman
- "UBA – United Bank for Africa Plc" Black Herald, Showcasing Africa, 10.09.07
- UBA, "Group at a glance" 2008 Annual Report
- UBA Group Balance Sheet On 31 December 2011
- UBA Congo Brazzaville Opens For Business
- List of Countries With UBA Presence
- UBA Opens Branches In DRC
- UBA Zambia Established In 2011
- UBA Zambia Seeking Local Banking Licence
- UBA Registered Under Nigerian Law In 1961
- "UBA, Nigeria's n°1 Bank launches 54 Billion Naira hybrid offer," Symbiotics,  09/03/07
- "African Centre for Women Report of the Ad Hoc Expert Group Meeting to consider modalities of setting up an African Bank For Women," United Nations Economic Commission for Africa  24/08/94
- Sarah Rundell, "Hungry for More Market Share," Africa Investor , 01-03-07
- "UBA, Nigeria's No.1 Bank launches 54 Billion Naira hybrid offer," Symbiotics, 
- Ugonna Maduagufor, "Global Depository Receipts," Stock Market Nigeria  30-06-08
- About UBA Foundation
- Beryl Opondo, "MoneyGram and UBA open first dedicated MoneyGram location in Nigeria," Prudence International Magazine, , 23-05-06
- United Bank for Africa Makes History,"
- UBA Wins 2009 Best Customer Care Award In Ghana
- UBA GIS Wins Money Markets' Innovation Award for West Africa In 2008
- UBA Named One of Top 100 African Banks In 2009