United Conservative Party
|United Conservative Party|
|Founded||15 December 1953|
|Dissolved||11 May 1966|
|Merger of||Traditionalist Conservative Party and a faction of the Social Christian Conservative Party|
|Merged into||National Party|
|Headquarters||Santiago de Chile|
|Politics of Chile
The United Conservative Party (Spanish: Partido Conservador Unido) was a right-wing Chilean party founded in December 1953 after the merger of the Traditionalist Conservative Party and parts of the Social Christian Conservative Party, issued from the Conservative Party. It supported for the 1958 presidential election the candidacy of Jorge Alessandri and participated, along with the Liberal Party and supporters of former president Carlos Ibáñez del Campo, in its government. In 1962, it participated in the Democratic Front of Chile center-right coalition which opposed the left-wings FRAP coalition and supported for the 1964 presidential election Eduardo Frei Montalva (who obtained less than 56% of the votes).
Following the low results obtained at the 1965 legislative elections, the United Conservative Party merged in 1966 with the Liberal Party and the National Action (founded in 1963 by Jorge Prat Echaurren, who had been Minister of Finances in 1954 in Carlos Ibáñez del Campo's cabinet), thus creating the National Party.
- 1957 legislative election (21 deputies on a total of 147) — 13,8% of the votes 
- 1961 legislative election (17 deputies on a total of 147) — 14,3% of the votes 
- 1967 legislative election (03 deputies on a total of 147) — 05,2% of the votes 
- Cruz-Coke, Ricardo. 1984. Historia electoral de Chile. 1925-1973. Editorial Jurídica de Chile. Santiago
- Cruz-Coke, Ricardo. 1984. Historia electoral de Chile. 1925-1973. Editorial Jurídica de Chile. Santiago.
- Gil, Federico. 1969. El sistema político de Chile. Editorial Andrés Bello. Santiago.
- Pereira, Teresa. 1994. El Partido Conservador: 1930-1965, ideas, figuras y actitudes. Editorial Universitaria. Santiago de Chile.
- Sanfuentes Carrión, Marcial. 1957. El Partido Conservador. Editorial Universitaria. Santiago.