United Kingdom Special Forces
|United Kingdom Special Forces|
|Type||Special operations force|
|Part of||Ministry of Defence|
|Major-general Mark Carleton-Smith|
The United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF) is a Ministry of Defence directorate which provides a joint special operations task force headquarters. UKSF is commanded by Director Special Forces. The Special Air Service, Special Boat Service, Special Reconnaissance Regiment, Special Forces Support Group, 18 Signal Regiment and the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing together form the UKSF.
UKSF was formed in 1987 to draw together the Army's Special Air Service and the Royal Navy's Special Boat Squadron, which was renamed the Special Boat Service during the formation, into a unified command, based around the former Director SAS who was given the additional title of Director Special Forces. The directorate has been expanded by the creation of the Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing, the Special Reconnaissance Regiment, the 18 Signal Regiment and the Special Forces Support Group.
Roles and tasks
UKSF assets undertake a number of roles, with a degree of interaction and interoperability:
- Unconventional Warfare
- Covert reconnaissance
- Special reconnaissance
- Direct action
- Close protection
- Counter-revolutionary warfare
- Reconnaissance of the deep battlespace
- Offensive operations in the deep battlespace
- Battlespace preparation in transition to war
- Infrastructure disruption
- Capture of subjects of interest
- Human intelligence (HUMINT) collection
- Defence diplomacy
- Training of other nations' armed forces
- Special Boat Service, Naval Service
- Special Boat Service (Reserve), Naval Service[dead link]
- 21 Special Air Service (Reserve), British Army
- 22 Special Air Service, British Army
- 23 Special Air Service (Reserve), British Army
- Special Reconnaissance Regiment, British Army
- 18 Signal Regiment, Royal Corps of Signals, British Army
- Special Forces Support Group
- Joint Special Forces Aviation Wing
- Official UKSF (Reserve) website[dead link]
- Artists Rifles Advice & Training, a discussion forum for potential SAS Reserve (21 & 23) recruits
- UKSF Support Squadron[dead link]
- "The secretive sister of the SAS". BBC. 16 November 2001. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- "X-Men lead war on terror". London: The Sun. 21 May 2007. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Special Boat Service (Reserve)". Ministry of Defence (United Kingdom). Retrieved 8 March 2010.
- "SAS(R)". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 2013.
- "21SAS CSQN". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "21SAS ESQN". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "23SAS BSQN". Reserve forces and cadets association. Retrieved 18 March 2010.[dead link]
- "23SAS DSQN". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "23SAS GSQN". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "18 Signal Regiment". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 2013.
- "Special Forces Signals (Reserve)". Ministry of Defence. Archived from the original on 12 February 2010. Retrieved 20-March-2010.