United Lodge of Theosophists
|Part of a series on|
The United Lodge of Theosophists, or ULT, was founded in 1909 by a Theosophical Society member, Robert Crosbie (1849–1919). Crosbie wanted to focus exclusively on the literature left behind by H.P. Blavatsky and William Quan Judge.
Mr. Crosbie was a Boston Theosophist during the time of William Q. Judge. He worked very closely with Judge, enjoying his confidence. When, after Judge’s death, the members most active at the New York headquarters raised Mrs. Tingley to the position of Judge’s successor, Mr. Crosbie gave her his loyalty and support. About 1900 he went to Point Loma to be of what assistance he could in the work, there. However, in the course of a few years, he came to feel that nothing constructive was to be accomplished by remaining at Point Loma—that, in fact, the teachings and philosophy of Theosophy had suffered an almost complete eclipse by the methods and sensational program instituted by Mrs. Tingley—and he quietly left the Point Loma Society in 1904 and came to Los Angeles. He was without property or funds, having given all his worldly possessions to the work of the Movement. He secured work in Los Angeles and gradually began to gather around him a few students—most of them entirely new to Theosophy—to undertake once more the task of promulgating Theosophy in the same form as originally presented by the Founders of the Movement. When, in 1909, he had been joined by a small nucleus of persons who shared this ideal, The United Lodge of Theosophists was formed to carry out the purposes in view.
In the many years following the passing of HPB, thousands of "changes and corrections" had been made to the original writings of HPB and Mr. Judge. Such deletions and additions were the product of prominent "post-HPB" Theosophists. In principle, a student of the Philosophy of Theosophy might wonder if these changes were made by certain individuals for their own personal aggrandizement. The ULT makes the effort to preserve and to "Spread Broadcast the original teachings of Theosophy as found in the writings of H.P. Blavatsky and William Q. Judge." The purpose of the ULT is to disseminate the Fundamental Principles of the Philosophy of Theosophy. To that end, the texts regarded as "straight line Theosophical Literature" by the ULT are generally those which are reproduced from the original plates, or are photographic reproductions of originals. These are currently made available through The Theosophy Company a non-profit publishing entity for the United Lodge of Theosophists. After Crosbie's death the movement gained momentum under the leadership of B.P. Wadia (1881–1958).
It is not the goal of the ULT that more people might call themselves "Theosophists", rather that the effects of the Movement will serve to "leaven the Race mind". As an effect lies in germ form deep within its cause, "Independent Devotion to the Cause of Theosophy" is the Policy of the ULT.
The policy of this Lodge is independent devotion to the cause of Theosophy, without professing attachment to any Theosophical organization. It is loyal to the great Founders of the Theosophical movement, but does not concern itself with dissensions or differences of individual opinion. The work it has on hand and the end it keeps in view are too absorbing and too lofty to leave it the time or inclination to take part in side issues. That work and that end is the dissemination of the fundamental principles of the Philosophy of Theosophy, and the exemplification in practice of those principles, through a truer realization of the SELF; a profounder conviction of Universal Brotherhood.
It holds that the unassailable basis for union among Theosophists, wherever and however situated, is "similarity of aim, purpose and teaching," and therefore has neither Constitution, By-Laws nor Officers, the sole bond between its Associates being that basis. And it aims to disseminate this idea among Theosophists in the furtherance of Unity. It regards as Theosophists all who are engaged in the true service of Humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, condition or organization, and
It welcomes to its association all those who are in accord with its declared purposes and who desire to fit themselves, by study and otherwise, to be the better able to help and teach others.
- "The true Theosophist belongs to no cult or sect, yet belongs to each and all."
The following is the form signed by Associates of the United lodge of Theosophists:
- Being in sympathy with the purposes of this Lodge, as set forth in its "Declaration," I hereby record my desire to be enrolled as an Associate, it being understood that such association calls for no obligation on my part, other than that which I, myself, determine.
- Sint Norbertusstraat 16, ANTWERP B-2060, BELGIUM
- Charilaou Trikoupi 60, 3rd floor, Athens 10680, GREECE (Athens, Greece)
- 4 Sir Krishna Rao Road, Basavangudi, BANGALORE 560004, INDIA (ULT India)
- No. 13, Twelfth Cross St., Indira Nagar, CHENNAI 600020, INDIA
- 17 Cour Chabeuf, DIJON 21000, FRANCE (Paris, France)
- B.P. 11372, (Bassa), DOUALA, CAMEROUN
- #17 rue Charlotin Marcadieux.(Raquettes), boite Postale 107, JACMEL, HAITI
- Robert Crosbie House, 62 Queen's Gardens, LONDON W.2 3AH, ENGLAND (London, England)
- 799 Adelaide Street, LONDON, ONTARIO N5Y 2L8, CANADA (Ontario, Canada)
- 245 West 33rd Street, LOS ANGELES, CALIF., 90007, USA (Los Angeles, CA)
- Kungsgatan 16 A, MALMO 211 49, SWEDEN (Malmo, Sweden)
- Nalini Kunj, Sri Marubai Gamdevi Mandir Rd., MATUNGA, MUMBAI 400019, INDIA (ULT India)
- Carpatos 34-7, Alpes Aguilas, MEXICO D.F., 01010, MEXICO
- Theosophy Hall, 40 NewMarine Lines, MUMBAI 400020, INDIA (ULT India)
- Elzendreef 279, 2272 CM, Vourburg, NETHERLANDS
- 347 East 72nd Street, NEW YORK, N.Y., 10021, USA (New York, New York)
- 1001 Gregg Street, OTTAWA, ONTARIO K1V 6H3, CANADA
- 11 bis, Rue Keppler, PARIS 75116, FRANCE (Paris, France)
- 1917 Walnut Street, PHILADELPHIA, PENN., 19103, USA
- 77 West Encanto Blvd., PHOENIX, ARIZONA, 85003, USA (Phoenix, Arizona)
- 3766 El Cajon Blvd., SAN DIEGO, CALIF., 92105, USA (San Diego, CA)
- 810 Gonzales Drive., SAN FRANCISCO, CA, 94132, USA.
- 326 West Sola Street, SANTA BARBARA, CALIF., 93101, USA
- 2700 South Tamiami Trail., SARASOTA, FL 34239, USA
- Via Isonzo 33, 10141-Torino, TURIN, ITALY
- 4865 Cordell Ave., Suite 230, Bethesda, (WASHINGTON D.C.) MARYLAND 20814, USA (Washington D.C.)
Links to Various ULT Web Sites
- ULT New York, New York
- ULT Athens, Greece
- ULT Mumbai and Bangalore, India
- ULT Paris, France
- ULT London, England
- ULT Ontario, Canada
- ULT Los Angeles, CA
- ULT Malmo, Sweden
- ULT Phoenix, Arizona
- ULT San Diego, CA
- ULT Washington D.C.