United Nationalist Alliance
|United Nationalist Alliance|
|Slogan||Sa UNA, gaganda ang buhay. (With UNA, life will be better.)|
|Colors||Orange and navy blue|
|Seats in the Senate|
|Seats in the House of Representatives|
|Provincial vice governorships|
|Provincial board members|
|Politics of Philippines
The United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) is a political multi-party electoral alliance in the Philippines. It replaced the former United Opposition (UNO) coalition for the upcoming 2013 midterm elections and the 2016 presidential elections.
The Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP), headed by former president Joseph Estrada, and the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban), headed by Vice President Jejomar Binay, signed a coalition agreement on April 4, 2012 for the 2013 elections, forming the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA). The two parties were formerly partners in the United Opposition in the 2007 election, and Estrada and Binay were running mates during the 2010 presidential election. Aquilino Pimentel III, PDP-Laban president, has stated that the UNA's senatorial slate is now more than twelve members and is in the process of trimming down; he had also expressed reservations on the inclusion of Juan Miguel Zubiri, of whom he had won an election protest after the 2007 election. On March 2014, Binay resign as Chairman of PDP-Laban, as result the PMP party the only primary party of UNA banner.
Mainstream party members (Founding Party)
- Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP)
- Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) (until March 7, 2014)
- Asenso Manileño (Progress for Manilans) - Manila
- Kabalikat ng Bayan sa Kaunlaran (Partners of the Nation for Progress) - Manila
- One Cebu - Cebu
- Padayon Pilipino (Filipinos Ahead) - Misamis Oriental and Cagayan de Oro City
- Partido Magdiwang (Magdiwang Party) - San Juan City
- Partido Navoteño (Party of the People of Navotas) - Navotas City
- People's Champ Movement - Sarangani
- Team Binay - Makati City
- Timpuyog ti Baguio (Baguio Alliance) - Baguio City
- Timawa - Iloilo City
- Padayon Pilipino (PDP) - Cagayan de Oro
- Ugyon Kita Capiz (UK CAPIZ) - Capiz
- Abyan Ilonggo - Iloilo
- Bukidnon Paglaum Party (BPP) - Bukidnon
- Alliance of Parties for Progress - Zamboanga del Norte
- Biskeg - Pangasinan
- Bagong Lakas ng Nueva Ecija (BALANE) - Nueva Ecija
- Kambilan - Pampanga
- Partido Magdalo - Cavite
- Team Un1ty - Quezon City (District 1)
Parties with members that ran under UNA
- Bagumbayan–Volunteers for a New Philippines (New Nation-VNP)
- National Unity Party (Garcia wing)
- Nationalist People's Coalition (Sotto wing)
- Nacionalista Party (Marcos wing)
On 3 May 2012, Zubiri took an oath to become a member of the PMP; Estrada and Binay were optimistic that Pimentel and Zubiri will be able to reconcile their differences prior to the start of the campaign.
On 10 May 2012, UNA announced its first five senatorial candidates: re-electionist Sens. Aquilino Pimentel III and Gregorio Honasan, Representatives Jack Enrile and JV Ejercito, and 2010 senatorial candidate Joey de Venecia.
On 11 June 2012, UNA formally included Zubiri in its line-up, together with Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia and Zambales Representative Mitos Magsaysay. On 28 June 2012, Pimentel officially declined his spot in the UNA line-up, citing Zubiri's continued inclusion in it.
The UNA announced on August that former senators Richard Gordon and Ernesto Maceda were a part of their ticket, and that Senator Loren Legarda would be one of the last three candidates yet to be named in their ticket. UNA spokesperson JV Bautista also said that Pimentel has taken a leave of absence as PDP-Laban's presidency, and that PDP-Laban will not be in Pimentel's certificate of nomination as the latter is running under the Liberal Party. However, Pimentel denied that he took a leave of absence from the PDP-Laban presidency.
On the first day of filing of certificates of candidacies, senatorial nominees of UNA filed theirs at the Commission on Elections national offices at Intramuros. Joey de Venecia withdrew from the election as he cited his business endeavors as reasons for his withdrawal; speculation was rife when Lorenzo Tañada III was one of the persons considered to fill in de Venecia's slot in the ticket, but Binay disclosed that Tañada was not in their choices "any more." On October 4, UNA announced that Binay's daughter Nancy was their 12th nominee.
|Candidate||Party||Last position in government||Relatives in government||Elected|
||No political background||Vice President Jejomar Binay (father), Makati mayor Elenita Binay (mother), Makati mayor Jun-Jun Binay (brother), congresswoman from Makati Abigail Binay (sister)|
||Former governor of Tarlac (1992–98)||Congressman from Tarlac Jose Cojuangco, Jr. (husband), congressman from Tarlac Eduardo Cojuangco, Jr. (cousin), President Benigno Aquino III (nephew), National Youth Commission chairman Bam Aquino (nephew), former Senator Robert Jaworski (brother-in-law), former Pasig Rep. Robert Jaworski, Jr. (son-in-law)|
||Incumbent congressman from San Juan's lone district (since 2010)||President Joseph Estrada (father), San Juan mayor Guia Gomez (mother), Senator Jinggoy Estrada (half-brother), Laguna Governor ER Ejercito (cousin)|
||Incumbent congressman from Cagayan's 1st district (since 2010)||Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile (father), congresswoman from Cagayan Sally Ponce Enrile (wife)|
||Former senator (2004–10)||Olongapo mayor Katherine K. Gordon (wife), Olongapo councilor John Carlos de los Reyes (nephew)|
||Incumbent senator (since 2007)||None|
|"Manong Ernie" Maceda||
||Former senator (1992–98)||Manila 4th district councilor Edward VP Maceda (son)|
||Incumbent congresswoman from Zambales' 1st district (since 2004)||Senator Ramon Magsaysay, Jr. (uncle-in-law), Zambales governor Vicente Magsaysay (father-in-law)|
||Former senator (2007–11)||Bukidnon vice-governor Jose Ma. R. Zubiri, Jr. (father), congressman from Bukidnon Jose Zubiri III (brother)|
- Sy, Marvin (2012-04-04). "From UNO to UNA, Erap, Binay unite". Philippine Star (Yahoo! Philippines News). Retrieved 2012-04-05.
- Evangelista, Kate; Burgonio, TJ (2012-05-03). "Estrada takes a dig at Lim over Manila’s plight". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Clapano, Jose Rodel (2012-05-11). "UNA bares first 5 senatorial candidates". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Esplanada, Jerry (2012-06-11). "Zubiri, Magsaysay, Garcia named to UNA slate; Will Pimentel leave alliance?". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- "It's final: Koko won't run under UNA". ABS-CBN News. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2012-06-28.
- Macaraig, Ayee (2012-08-28). "Gordon, Maceda running under UNA". Rappler. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- Tan, Kimberly Jane (2012-08-29). "Pimentel denies dropping PDP-Laban presidency". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- Clapano, Jose Rodel (2012-10-01). "'Number One' UNA bets file COCs at 1 p.m. on Oct. 1". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Gil C. Cabacungan, Tarra Quismundo, Cathy C. Yamsuan (2012-10-02). "De Venecia son quits UNA Senate slate at last minute". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- Reyes, Fat (2012-10-04). "UNA names Nancy Binay as 12th senatorial candidate". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2012-10-04.
- "UNA drops 3 senatorial bets, says campaign manager". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Genuine Opposition
- Koalisyon ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino
- Laban ng Makabayang Masang Pilipino
- Puwersa ng Masa
- Team PNoy