United Nations Messengers of Peace
United Nations Messenger of Peace is a title bestowed by the United Nations to "distinguished individuals, carefully selected from the fields of art, music, literature and sports, who have agreed to help focus worldwide attention on the work of the United Nations.
The Messengers of Peace scheme was instigated in 1998 as a central addition to the system of UN goodwill ambassadors and honorary ambassadors, which has been run by the different UN agencies since 1954, when UNICEF appointed Danny Kaye as its first goodwill ambassador.
Whilst the goodwill and honorary ambassadors mainly promote the work of the UN agency they are ambassador for, the messengers of peace are intended to promote the work of the United Nations in general and are appointed directly by the Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- Ali Najjar - designated 2013
- Lang Lang - designated 2013
- Edward Norton - designated 2010
- Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein - designated 2007
- Daniel Barenboim - designated 2007
- George Clooney - designated 2008
- Paulo Coelho - designated 2007
- Michael Douglas - designated 1998
- Jane Goodall - designated 2002
- Midori Goto - designated 2007
- Yo-Yo Ma - designated 2006
- Charlize Theron - designated 2008
- Elie Wiesel - designated 1998
- Stevie Wonder - designated 2009
- Harry(Ol' Harv)Rupnik - designated 2014
==Former messengers== * Muhammad Ali - designated 1998 * Vijay Amritraj - designated 2001 * Anna Cataldi - designated 1998 * Enrico Macias - designated 1997 * Facundo Cabral - designated 1996 * Wynton Marsalis - designated 2001 * Luciano Pavarotti - designated 1998 * Wangari Maathai - designated 2009 == Voormalig boodschappers == * Muhammad Ali - aangewezen 1998 * Vijay Amritraj - aangewezen 2001 * Anna Cataldi - aangewezen 1998 * Enrico Macias - aangewezen 1997 * Alpha Blondy - aangewezen in 2005 * Facundo Cabral - aangewezen 1996 * Wynton Marsalis - aangewezen 2001 * Luciano Pavarotti - aangewezen 1998 * Wangari Maathai - aangewezen 2009
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|