United Nations Security Council Resolution 1985
|UN Security Council
Nuclear reactor at the Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center
|Date||10 June 2011|
|Vote||For: 15 — Abs. 0 — Against: 0|
Democratic People's Republic of Korea
|Security Council composition|
United Nations Security Council Resolution 1985, adopted unanimously on June 10, 2011, after recalling resolutions 825 (1993), 1540 (2004), 1695 (2006), 1718 (2006), 1874 (2009), 1887 (2009), 1928 (2010) on the topics of North Korea and nuclear weapons, the Council extended the mandate of an expert panel monitoring sanctions against the country until June 12, 2012.
The Security Council determined that the proliferation and delivery of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons constituted a threat to international peace and security. It also recalled that reports from the expert panel had to make credible and objective assessments, analysis and recommendations.
Acting under Article 41 of Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, the Council extended the mandate of the expert panel established in Resolution 1874 to monitor the newly-strengthened sanctions regime against North Korea, imposed after an underground nuclear test conducted in May 2009. The panel was requested to provide a report by November 12, 2011 and a second report 30 days prior to the termination of its current mandate with its findings and recommendations.
Finally, all states, United Nations agencies and others were urged to co-operate fully with the Committee of the Security Council established in Resolution 1718 and the expert panel.
- 2009 North Korean nuclear test
- List of United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1901 to 2000 (2009 – 2011)
- North Korea and weapons of mass destruction
- Nuclear power in North Korea
- "Security Council extends until 12 June 2012 mandate of panel of experts helping monitor sanctions on Democratic People's Republic of Korea". United Nations. June 10, 2011.
- Powell, Eileen Alt (10 June 2011). "UN Security Council extends mandate of committee looking into North Korea sanctions violations". The Canadian Press.
- "Security Council extends mandate of DPR Korea sanctions panel". United Nations News Centre. 10 June 2011.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|