The United States-South African Defense Committee (DEFCOM) was formed in 1997 as part of the US-SA Binational Commission (BNC). Its purpose is to improve and facilitate defense co-operation between the two nations.
The DEFCOM meetings are held annually, with the location alternating between South Africa and the United States. The most recent meeting was held in May 2004, in Pretoria, South Africa.
The DEFCOM consists of six working groups:
- Environmental Security Working Group
- Security Assistance Working Group
- Acquisition and Technology Working Group
- Medical Co-operation Working Group
- Military Relations Working Group
- Policy and Programs Working Group