United States Ambassador to the Central African Republic
|Ambassador of the United States to the Central African Republic|
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Inaugural holder||Alan W. Lukens
as Chargé d'affaires ad interim
|Formation||August 13, 1960|
|Website||U.S. Embassy - Bangui|
Alan W. Lukens (resident at Brazzaville) presented credentials as chargé d'affaires ad interim on August 13, 1960. During Blancke's tenure as non-resident Ambassador to the Central African Republic, the United States Embassy in Bangui was established on February 10, 1961, with Lukens as resident chargé d'affaires ad interim. Ambassador Cooke was commissioned to the Central African Empire.
Ambassadors Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
|Name||State||Type||Appointed||Presented Credentials||Mission Terminated||Notes|
|W. Wendell Blancke||California||FSO||Dec 12, 1960||Jan 6, 1961||Nov 29, 1961||Commissioned during a recess of the Senate.
Recommissioned after confirmation on Feb 6, 1961.
Also accredited to Chad, Congo-Brazzaville, and Gabon; resident at Brazzaville.
|John H. Burns||Oklahoma||FSO||Nov 10, 1961||Nov 29, 1961||Left post, May 6, 1963||Commissioned during a recess of the Senate
Recommissioned after confirmation on Jan 30, 1962.
|Claude G. Ross||California||FSO||Aug 1, 1963||Sep 16, 1963||Left post, Apr 22, 1967|
|Geoffrey W. Lewis||Virginia||FSO||Sep 13, 1967||Oct 23, 1967||Left post, Aug 2, 1970|
|Melvin L. Manfull||Utah||FSO||Nov 23, 1970||Feb 4, 1971||Left post, Dec 13, 1972|
|William N. Dale||New Mexico||FSO||Jul 24, 1973||Sep 18, 1973||Left post, Jul 17, 1975|
|Anthony C. E. Quainton||Washington||FSO||Feb 4, 1976||Feb 20, 1976||Left post, Jun 9, 1978|
|Goodwin Cooke||Connecticut||FSO||Oct 11, 1978||Nov 4, 1978||Left post, Jul 13, 1980|
|Arthur H. Woodruff||Florida||FSO||May 7, 1981||Jul 10, 1981||Left post, Aug 2, 1983|
|Edmund DeJarnette||Virginia||FSO||Oct 7, 1983||Nov 17, 1983||Left post, May 26, 1986|
|David C. Fields||California||FSO||Oct 16, 1986||Dec 4, 1986||Left post, Oct 3, 1989|
|Daniel Howard Simpson||Ohio||FSO||Nov 21, 1989||Feb 6, 1990||Left post, Dec 15, 1992|
|Robert E. Gribbin, 3rd||Alabama||FSO||Jun 15, 1992||Jan 16, 1993||Left post, Sep 16, 1995|
|Mosina H. Jordan||New York||FSO||Jun 27, 1995||Nov 29, 1995||Left post Mar 31, 1997|
|Robert Cephas Perry||Virginia||FSO||Oct 12, 1998||Feb 1, 1999||Jul 1, 2001|
|Mattie R. Sharpless||North Carolina||FSO||Oct 1, 2001||Dec 14, 2001||Left post, Dec. 2, 2002|
|Frederick B. Cook||Florida||FSO||Jul 27, 2007||Aug 27, 2007||Prior to September 2010|
|Laurence D. Wohlers||Washington||FSO||September 8, 2010||Unknown||Current|
- Albert E. Fairchild served as chargé d'affaires ad interim from Dec 1979 to Jul 1981.
- Embassy reopened Jan 2005. A. James Panos served as chargé d'affaires ad interim, Jan 2005-Jul 2007.
- Central African Republic – United States relations
- Foreign relations of the Central African Republic
- Ambassadors of the United States
- United States Department of State: Background notes on the Central African Republic
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Department of State (Background Notes).
- United States Department of State: Chiefs of Mission for the Central African Republic
- United States Department of State: Central African Republic
- United States Embassy in Bangui