United States Ambassador to Sri Lanka and the Maldives
|Ambassador of the United States to Sri Lanka and the Maldives|
Seal of the United States Department of State
|Inaugural holder||Felix Cole
as Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary
|Formation||August 3, 1949|
|Website||U.S. Embassy - Colombo|
U.S. diplomatic terms
After 1915, The United States Department of State began classifying ambassadors as career Foreign Service Officers (FSOs) for those who have served in the Foreign Service for a specified amount of time.
A person who is not a career foreign service officer, but is appointed by the president (often as a reward to political friends).
The date that the ambassador took the oath of office; also known as “commissioning”. It follows confirmation of a presidential appointment by the Senate, or a Congressional-recess appointment by the president. In the case of a recess appointment, the ambassador requires subsequent confirmation by the Senate.
The date that the ambassador presented his letter of credence to the head of state or appropriate authority of the receiving nation. At this time the ambassador officially becomes the representative of his country. This would normally occur a short time after the ambassador’s arrival on station. The host nation may reject the ambassador by not receiving the ambassador’s letter, but this occurs only rarely.
Usually the date that the ambassador left the country. In some cases a letter of recall is presented, ending the ambassador’s commission, either as a means of diplomatic protest or because the diplomat is being reassigned elsewhere and replaced by another envoy.
The person in charge of the business of the embassy when there is no ambassador commissioned to the host country. See chargé d'affaires.
Latin phrase meaning "for the time being", "in the meantime". See ad interim.
The position of United States Ambassador to Sri Lanka and the Maldives has existed since 1949. Sri Lanka–United States relations and Maldives–United States relations have been friendly throughout the history of Sri Lanka and the history of the Maldives. The diplomatic mission representing the United States in both countries is located in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
United States Ambassadors to Sri Lanka
- Felix Cole - (03-Aug-1949 - 30-Oct-1949)
- Joseph C. Satterthwaite - (19-Nov-1949 - 25-Jul-1953)
- Philip K. Crowe - (19-Sep-1953 - 27-Sep-1956)
- Maxwell H. Gluck - (19-Sep-1957 - 02-Oct-1958)
- Lampton Berry - (22-Nov-1958 - 03-Jun-1959)
- Bernard Gufler - (24-Aug-1959 - 01-Mar-1961)
- Frances E. Willis - (11-May-1961 - 20-Sep-1964)
- Cecil B. Lyon - (30-Oct-1964 - 17-Jun-1967)
- Andrew V. Corry - (19-Jul-1967 - 21-Mar-1970)
- Robert Strausz-Hupé - (03-May-1970 - 12-Dec-1971)
- Christopher Van Hollen - (27-Oct-1972 - 21-Apr-1976)
- John H. Reed - (02-Jul-1976 - 01-Jun-1977)
- William Howard Wriggins - (18-Aug-1977 - 13-Dec-1979)
- Donald R. Toussaint - (21-Jan-1980 - 17-Jan-1982)
- John H. Reed - (08-Feb-1982 - 03-Sep-1985)
- James W. Spain - (21-Nov-1985 - 16-Jun-1989)
- Marion V. Creekmore, Jr. - (29-Nov-1989 - 27-Aug-1992)
- Teresita Currie Schaffer - (07-Oct-1992 - 15-Aug-1995)
- Peter Burleigh - (19-Jan-1996 - 1-Aug-1997)
- Shaun E. Donnelly - (19-Dec-1997 - 16-Aug-2000)
- E. Ashley Wills - (13-Nov-2000 - 17-Jun-2003)
- Jeffrey Lunstead - (26-Sep-2003 - 09-Sep-2006)
- Robert O. Blake, Jr. - (09-Sep-2006 - 19-Aug-2009)
- Patricia A. Butenis - (19-Aug-2009 - 29-Jun-2012)
- Michele J. Sison - (29-Jun-2012–present)
- Sri Lanka – United States relations
- Maldives – United States relations
- Foreign relations of Sri Lanka
- Foreign relations of the Maldives
- Ambassadors of the United States
- United States Department of State: Background notes on Sri Lanka
- United States Department of State: Background notes on the Maldives
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Department of State (Background Notes).
- "Ambassador". Embassy of the United States. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- United States Department of State: Chiefs of Mission for Sri Lanka
- United States Department of State: Chiefs of Mission for Maldives
- United States Department of State: Sri Lanka
- United States Department of State: Maldives
- United States Embassy in Colombo