United States Army Medical Department Center and School
|U.S. Army Medical Department Center & School|
U.S. Army Medical Department Regimental Flag
|Active||September 1, 1920-present|
|Branch||United States Army|
|Role||Develops, trains, and educates health care personnel and leaders|
|Part of||U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD)|
|Garrison/HQ||Fort Sam Houston, Texas|
|Motto||To Conserve Fighting Strength|
|Colors||Gold and Sanguine (maroon)|
|MG Philip Volpe|
The U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School (AMEDDC&S) — located at Fort Sam Houston, Texas — is both a school and a "think tank". The School — known as the Academy of Health Sciences (AHS) — serves the U.S. Army in educating and training all of its medical personnel. The Center formulates the Army Medical Department's (AMEDD's) organization, tactics, doctrine, and equipment.
Although its institutional lineage dates back to 1920, the present "C&S" were established by permanent order of the Surgeon General in 1991.
The official mission of the AMEDDC&S states:
We envision, design, and train a premier military medical force for full spectrum operations in support of our Nation.
On 1 September 1920, the Medical Department Field Service School was established at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania at the request of the Surgeon General, Major General Merritt Weber Ireland. In December that same year, the Army renamed it the Medical Field Service School (MFSS).
After 25 1/2 years of operation, the school was deactivated on 15 February 1946 and its mission transferred to multiple schools located at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The school underwent various name changes and restructuring over the years; incorporating the diverse medical functional areas of the Army Medical Department (AMEDD) along the way. One significant change was on 10 December 1972, when the Secretary of the Army, Robert F. Froehlke re-designated the school to the Academy of Health Sciences.
On 15 July 1991, the Surgeon General, Lieutenant General Frank F. Ledford, Jr., established the AMEDDC&S by permanent order 103-1. The Academy of Health Sciences (AHS) now comprises the "school" portion of the AMEDDC&S.
Center components 
School components 
The Academy of Health Sciences (AHS):
See also 
- Fort Sam Houston, Texas (FSH-TX)
- Military Health System (MHS)
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS)
- U.S. Army Medical Command (MEDCOM)
- U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD)
- AMEDDC&S Mission & Vision Statement
- AMEDDC&S Regulation 10-1, dated 6 August 1993
- U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Official Website
- U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School (AMEDDC&S) Official Website
- AMEDD's Academy of Health Sciences (AHS) Official Website
- U.S. Army School of Aviation Medicine (USASAM) Official Website
- AMEDDC&S milBook Community