United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
|United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
|Appeals to||Ninth Circuit|
|Established||March 18, 1966|
|Chief judge||Morrison C. England Jr.|
The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California (in case citations, E.D. Cal.) is composed of six divisions.
The Bakersfield division has jurisdiction over certain cases in Inyo and Kern counties and on federal lands and National Parks. These cases are heard in courthouses in Bakersfield, Edwards Air Force Base, and Independence.
The Sacramento division covers: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Yolo, and Yuba counties.
Cases from the Eastern District of California are appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (except for patent claims and claims against the U.S. government under the Tucker Act, which are appealed to the Federal Circuit).
California was admitted as a state on September 9, 1850, and was initially divided into two districts, the Northern and the Southern, by Act of Congress approved September 28, 1850, 9 Stat. 521. The boundary line was at the 37th parallel of North Latitude. The Southern District of California was abolished and the State made to constitute a single district – the United States District Court for the District of California – by Act of Congress approved July 27, 1866, 14 Stat. 300. Twenty years later, on August 5, 1886, Congress re-created the Southern District of California by 24 Stat. 308, but it was not until March 18, 1966, that the Eastern and Central Districts were created from portions of the Northern and Southern Districts by 80 Stat. 75.
Current judges 
- Currently, a vacancy exists due to former Chief Judge Anthony W. Ishii's decision to take senior status on October 31, 2012. A nominee has not yet been named to fill this vacancy.
|#||Title||Judge||Duty station||Born||Term of service||Appointed by|
|17||Chief District Judge||Morrison C. England Jr.||Sacramento||1954||2002–present||2012–present||—||G.W. Bush|
|18||District Judge||Lawrence Joseph O'Neill||Fresno||1952||2007–present||—||—||G.W. Bush|
|19||District Judge||John A. Mendez||Sacramento||1955||2008–present||—||—||G.W. Bush|
|20||District Judge||Kimberly J. Mueller||Sacramento||1957||2010–present||—||—||Obama|
|21||District Judge||Troy L. Nunley||Sacramento||1964||2013-present||—||—||Obama|
|5||Senior District Judge||Lawrence K. Karlton||Sacramento||1935||1979–2000||1983–1990||2000–present||Carter|
|12||Senior District Judge||William B. Shubb||Sacramento||1938||1990–2004||1996–2003||2004–present||G.H.W. Bush|
|14||Senior District Judge||Garland Ellis Burrell Jr.||Sacramento||1947||1992–2012||2007–2008||2012–present||G.H.W. Bush|
|15||Senior District Judge||Anthony W. Ishii||Fresno||1946||1997–2012||2008–2012||2012–present||Clinton|
Former judges 
|#||Judge||State||Born/Died||Active service||Term as Chief Judge||Senior status||Appointed by||Reason for
|1||Myron Donovan Crocker||CA||1914–2010||1966–1981||1966–1967||1981–2010||Eisenhower||death|
|3||Thomas Jamison MacBride||CA||1914–2000||1966–1979||1967–1979||1979–2000||Kennedy||death|
|4||Philip Charles Wilkins||CA||1913–1998||1969–1983||1979–1983||1983–1998||Nixon||death|
|6||Milton Lewis Schwartz||CA||1920–2005||1979–1990||(none)||1990–2005||Carter||death|
|7||Edward Dean Price||CA||1919–1997||1979–1989||(none)||1989–1997||Carter||death|
|8||Raul Anthony Ramirez||CA||1944–present||1980–1989||(none)||(none)||Carter||resignation|
|9||Robert Everett Coyle||CA||1930-2012||1982–1996||1990–1996||1996–2006||Reagan||death|
|10||Edward J. Garcia||CA||1928–present||1984–1996||(none)||1996–2012||Reagan||retirement|
|11||David F. Levi||CA||1952–present||1990–2007||2003–2007||(none)||G.H.W. Bush||resignation|
|13||Oliver Winston Wanger||CA||1940–present||1991–2006||(none)||2006–2011||G.H.W. Bush||retirement|
|16||Frank C. Damrell Jr.||CA||1938–present||1997–2008||(none)||2008–2011||Clinton||retirement|
US Attorney 
See also 
- U.S. District Courts of California, Legislative history, Federal Judicial Center.
- Willoughby Rodman, History of the Bench and Bar of Southern California (1909), p. 46.
- Initially appointed to the Southern District of California in 1959 by Dwight D. Eisenhower; reassigned to the Eastern District of California in 1966.
- Initially appointed to the Northern District of California in 1954 by Dwight D. Eisenhower; reassigned to the Eastern District of California in 1966.
- Initially appointed to the Northern District of California in 1961 by John F. Kennedy; reassigned to the Eastern District of California in 1966.
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California Official Web Site
- Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- Justice of the Pines: Yosemite National Park Has Its Own Rustic Courthouse and Homespun Judge