United States House of Representatives election in the Northern Mariana Islands, 2012
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
the Northern Mariana Islands
The 2012 Congressional election in the Northern Mariana Islands was held on November 6, 2012 to elect the territory's sole Delegate to the United States House of Representatives. Representatives and non-voting Delegates are elected for two-year terms.
Delegate Gregorio Sablan, an independent who caucuses with the Democrat, has held the seat since its creation in the 2008 election. Sablan won re-election in the 2008 four-person race with 43%, or 4,896 of the 11,325 total votes cast.  He is the first non-voting delegate to represent the Northern Mariana Islands in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Sablan launched his re-election campaign for a third term on August 24, 2011.
Republican Party leaders in the Northern Mariana Islands, including Governor Benigno Fitial, had reportedly encouraged John Gonzales to run against Sablan in the race. Gonzales, a former Covenant Party member and the executive director of the Northern Mariana Islands public library system, previously finished in 3rd place in the 2008 United States House of Representatives election in the Northern Mariana Islands.
General election results
Incumbent Del. Gregorio "Kilili" Sablan won a landslide re-election, earning more than 7,000 votes more than his Republican challenger, Dr. Ignacia "Acha" Demapan, the largest vote margin of any political candidate in Northern Mariana Islands history.
|Election results, Northern Mariana Islands Delegate to the United States House of Representatives, November 6, 2012 |
|Independent||Gregorio Kilili Camacho Sablan||9,829||79.7%|
|Republican||Ignacia "Acha" Demapan||2,503||20.3%|
- Euegenio, Haidee V. (2011-08-24). "Kilili to declare re-election bid tonight". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- Erediano, Emmanuel T. (2012-04-02). "Republicans want Bolis to run against Kilili". Marianas Variety News & Views. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- Bautista, Kevin G. (2012-08-07). "GOP team eyes November sweep". Marianas Variety News & Views. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- "Unofficial results in CNMI has incumbent Sablan winning by landslide". Radio New Zealand International. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- "Three-term CNMI congressman thankful for overwhelming support". Radio New Zealand International. 2012-11-07. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- Eugenio, Haidee V. (2012-11-08). "Kilili looks forward to working with Obama again". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- Deposa, Moneth (2012-11-07). "Kilili wins again, receives biggest vote margin in NMI political history". Saipan Tribune. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- "Official CNMI 2012 Election Reults". Commonwealth Election Commission. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2012-11-15.