United States Navy SEALs in popular culture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from United States Navy SEALs in fiction)
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2008)|
This is a list of occurrences of U.S. Navy SEALs in fiction.
- SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs series
- Counter-Strike Series, features DEVGRU
- In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, SEAL Team 10 is deployed on a mission to rescue the President of the United States, who has been taken hostage by a terrorist group; furthermore, the fictional villain group "Dead Cell" was a USN group used to test the preparation of U.S. Armed Forces in case of attack, acting as an OpFor, in a manner similar to the now no longer existing SEAL Team Six's "Red Cell" SEAL Team 10 is later wiped out by the "Dead Cell" members.
- In Red Alert 2, SEALs are powerful infantry that can be deployed by the allies.
- In the Navy SEALs videogame published by Ocean Software for several systems, including the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 systems
- In Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, DEVGRU discovers the Nuclear warhead in Al-Asad's palace.
- In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, SEALs are playable on a few multiplayer maps.
- Sam Fisher, the protagonist of the Splinter Cell series, is a former Navy SEAL.
- Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 mentions the SEALs in the description of the MP5A3.
- In Medal of Honor, the Tier 1 operators known as "AFO Neptune", are DEVGRU.
- In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, SEALs are sent to attack Russian command warships in New York Harbor.
- One of the playable protagionists in Call of Duty: Black Ops II (David Mason) is a Navy SEAL.
- Medal of Honor: Warfighter continues the story through the perspective of (Preacher) and (Stump), who are Navy SEALS.
- Deep Fear A survival horror game features Navy SEALs who are wiped out by the creatures.
- Ultimate Moon Knight
- SOCOM: SEAL Team Seven
- Sin City
- U.S. Navy Seals: In the 22nd Century
- Torpedo and Wet Suit, characters from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoon, comic and toyline.
- Shipwreck, a character from the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero cartoon, comic and toyline, was a regular sailor through most of his character life but has received SEAL training prior to the release of his second figure in the 'Battle Corps' line. Other G.I. Joe SEAL members include Tracker, Wet Down and recent addition Night Fox.
- Some of these books may not be fiction.
- "The Bahrain Conspiracy" By: Bentley Gates
- Rainbow Six, Featuring ex - SEAL John Clark, by Tom Clancy
- Rogue Warrior series, by Richard Marcinko
- Suffer in Silence, by David Reid
- Without Remorse, featuring John Clark, by Tom Clancy
- Some books by Patrick Robinson
- Seal Team Seven, by Keith Douglass
- SEALs: UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam and SEAL Team: Rollback, by Tim L. Bosiljevac
- The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. Narrator's brother Luke was a retired SEAL and one of his combat missions is mentioned in the book.
- Uncommon Heroes Series by Dee Henderson
- Subterranean by James Rollins. 2 Guards are SEALs
- Sigma Force Novels by James Rollins. Sean McKnight is a former SEAL.
- Deep Fathom by James Rollins. Protagonist Jack Kirkland is a former SEAL.
- Paladin of Shadows series by John Ringo. Protagonist Mike Harmon is a former SEAL, as is his friend and class mate former Master Chief Charles Adams.
- Covert One Series by Robert Ludlum has the mention of SEALs in a couple of novels (E.g. - The Cassandra Compact, The Ambler Warning).
- Scot Harvath series by Brad Thor. Protagonist Scot Harvath is a former SEAL turned U.S. Secret Service agent. Featured in the following books: The Lions of Lucerne, Path of the Assassin, State of the Union, Blowback, Takedown, The First Commandment, The Last Patriot, and The Apostle
- Carl Hamilton, by Jan Guillou. The book is about a Swedish officer, his life and some of his missions. He's trained by SEALs in San Diego, CA.
- Suzanne Brockmann is a romance novelist whose "Troubleshooters" (Random House) and "Tall, Dark & Dangerous" (Harlequin) series of romance/action novels feature SEALs, their missions, and their love interests.
- Rachel Gibson is a comedy/romance novelist whose recent 2013 “Run to You” (Avon: HarperCollins) and “Rescue Me” (2012 Avon: HarperCollins) romance novels feature retired SEALs, their reentry to work and true love. A third ex-military character, is ex-Marine sharpshooter who competes with them, giving us some rivalry slang.
- H. Jay Riker : Seals; the Warrior Breed series 11 books
- From the Depths, by Gerry Doyle.
- In Reliquary by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child SEAL Team "Blue-Seven" is deployed to set explosives and collapse the "Astor Tunnels" in New York
- Warrior Elite by Dick Couch
- No Easy Day by Mark Owen. Book about the mission that killed Osama bin Laden.
- "The Monkey Handlers", by G. Gordon Liddy
- Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell
- SEAL teams are featured in the films The Abyss (1989, directed by James Cameron), Navy SEALs (1990, directed by Lewis Teague), and The Rock (1996, directed by Michael Bay). In all three films, the SEAL teams are led by characters played by actor Michael Biehn.
- The 1991 film The Finest Hour portrays SEAL training as well as combat missions in the Middle East.
- Ex-SEAL, now cook Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they seize control of a US Navy battleship (Under Siege) and a train (Under Siege 2: Dark Territory).
- The 1997 Ridley Scott film G.I. Jane presented the idea of women training and becoming SEALs. Actress Demi Moore played Lieutenant Jordan O'Neill opposite actor Viggo Mortensen's character Master Chief John James Urgayle, and actor James Caviezel's character Slovnik.
- The low-budget 1999 film U.S. Seals, filmed in Bulgaria and criticized for its inaccurate portrayal of SEAL operations.
- Jim Street (Colin Farrell) in the 2003 film S.W.A.T.
- A SEAL team has been featured in Antoine Fuqua's 2003 Tears of the Sun, led by actor Bruce Willis.
- Lieutenant Shane Wolfe, a fictional character portrayed by Vin Diesel in the 2005 film The Pacifier.
- Lieutenant Darius Stone/xXx (Ice Cube) and NSA Agent Kyle Steele (Scott Speedman) are both former SEALs in the 2005 film xXx: State of the Union.
- SEALs are mentioned in the 2005 film Yours, Mine and Ours.
- The 2006 film Behind Enemy Lines II: Axis of Evil is about a Navy SEAL raid on a nuclear missile site in North Korea.
- In the 2009 film Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia, Navy SEALS mount an attack on Colombian special forces to clear their names and rescue a hostage.
- SEALs make an appearance in Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The films Zero Dark Thirty and Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden portray Navy SEALs during Operation Neptune Spear which resulted in the death of Osama Bin Laden.
- SEALs are featured in the 2012 film Act of Valor, the first of its kind to use active duty SEALs instead of actors. They filmed with live ammunition and showcase their gear, tactics, and the SEAL brotherhood.
- SEALs make an appearance in the 2013 film Captain Phillips.
- The 2013 film Lone Survivor is based on SEAL Team 10's failed operation, Operation Red Wings.
- SEAL Team Rollback, fictional account of classified UDT/SEAL missions in Vietnam. Takes the reader through the history of the Vietnam War from the fall of Dien Bien Phu to the Mayaguez. Although fictional, much of the little-known information in the book about secret special operations and intelligence is factual, such as third country interrogators and torturers of US POWs in Vietnam, defectors who fought against US forces, and missions against advisors and fighters from Russia, China, Cuba, North Korea, etc.
- Dillon Casey plays Sean Pierce a Navy SEAL officer assigned to Division in seasons 2 and 3 of the television series Nikita on CW.
- Jonathan LaPaglia plays a time-traveling former SEAL Lieutenant/NSA operative Frank B. Parker in the television series Seven Days.
- John M. Jackson played Rear Admiral A.J. Chegwidden, the Judge Advocate General and a former SEAL in the Paramount series JAG. The series also featured several cases involving Navy SEALs.
- Hulk Hogan and Chris Lemmon played a pair of former SEALs turned mercenaries in the television series Thunder in Paradise.
- Bruce Campbell plays Sam Axe a retired SEAL, in the popular USA network series Burn Notice.
- Tom Selleck played private investigator character Thomas Magnum, a former SEAL Commander and Naval Intelligence Officer, in the 1980-1988 CBS television series Magnum, P.I.
- LL Cool J plays Special Agent Sam Hanna, a former SEAL who is fluent in Arabic and an expert on West Asian culture on the CBS police procedural NCIS: Los Angeles, a spin-off of NCIS.
- In the television series NCIS, Navy SEALs have been featured as victims or suspects in several episodes.
- In the show 24, a SEAL strike team assists a Counter Terrorist Unit S.W.A.T. team assaulting a private military contractor's facility.
- In the show Hawaii Five-0, Alex O'Loughlin plays Lieutenant Commander Steve McGarrett, a SEAL and the Leader of the Five-0 Task Force. It is also revealed that McGarrett has some history with fellow Navy SEAL-turned-NCIS Special Agent Sam Hanna who is a main character on NCIS: Los Angeles, a spin-off of NCIS.
- In the shows One Man Army, Special Ops Mission and Combat Missions some contestants are SEALs among other special operations units.
- In the movie Sahara, Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn"s characters are former US Navy SEALs
- The television series Last Resort features SEALs among the crew of the renegade US nuclear missile sub USS Colorado, holed up on a Pacific island.
- Mark Lawson played former Navy SEAL Brody Lovett on the ABC Daytime Soap Opera One Life to Live from 2008-2012
- Max Martini played former Navy Seal with Capgras Syndrome Luke Dolan on the show Criminal Minds
- Justin Paul Kahn played Navy SEAL Wes Granger on the ABC Daytime Soap Opera One Life to Live from September 25, 2008- March 20, 2009