United States Sports Academy
|United States Sports Academy|
|President||Dr. Thomas P. Rosandich|
|Vice-president||Dr. Thomas J. Rosandich|
|Location||Daphne, Alabama, United States|
|Nickname||America's Sports University|
|Mascot||Sammy the Eagle|
The United States Sports Academy is an accredited, sport-specific institution located in Daphne, Alabama. It offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs as well as certificate programs. Founded in 1972, the Academy has provided its sports programs to more than 60 countries around the world.
Dr. Thomas P. Rosandich founded the Academy in 1972 in response to an inferior performance by the United States Olympic team in the 1972 Munich Games. Athletes were lacking quality coaching and training. The Academy's programs served as an education resource to upgrade coaching through instruction, research and service.
The Academy's campus is also home to the American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA), which was founded in 1984. The collection contains more than 1,000 works of sport art from world-renowned artists, many of whom have been honored by the Academy as Sport Artist of the Year. The Academy is also developing an outdoor Sculpture Park on campus, which is dedicated to celebrating sport with the erection of numerous environmentally friendly sculptures.
Another aspect of the Academy is its Awards of Sport series, also known as its tribute to "The Artist and the Athlete." These awards honor sports figures for their accomplishments and achievements in such things as performance, humanitarian activities, fitness and media.
Amos Alonzo Stagg Coaching Award
- Note: There is a separate "Amos Alonzo Stagg Award" presented by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA).
- For list of awardees, see footnote
The Amos Alonzo Stagg Coaching Award is presented each year, for the preceding calendar year. It was first presented in 1985, for the 1984 sports year. Each recipient receives the USSA's Order of the Eagle Exemplar medal and Academy Rosette.
- 2006 – Billy Donovan (Florida Gators men’s basketball)
- 2013 - Gus Malzahn (Auburn Tigers football)
Carl Maddox Sport Management Award
- Amos Alonzo Stagg Coaching Award webpage. American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA) website. United States Sports Academy. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- See also the Sporting News list of the 50 greatest coaches of all time (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, college basketball, and college football). D'Alessio, Jeff (July 29, 2009). "Sporting News' 50 greatest coaches of all time". SportingNews.com. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Donovan Presented With United States Sports Academy Coaching Award". GatorZone.com. July 17, 2007. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- "Another national award for Auburn's Gus Malzahn". AuburnTigers.com. May 30, 2014. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Awards of Sport: Carl Maddox Sport United States Sports Academy. Retrieved 2011-01-20.