Looking west at downtown Unity
|County||Clark and Marathon|
|• Total||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Land||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Estimate (2012)||342|
|• Density||346.5/sq mi (133.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||715 & 534|
Unity is a village in Clark and Marathon counties in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. It is part of the Wausau, Wisconsin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 343 at the 2010 census. Of this, 204 were in Marathon County, and 139 were in Clark County. The village is located in northeastern town of Unity in Clark County and northwestern town of Brighton in Marathon County.
Unity is located at (44.848191, -90.31497).
As of the census of 2010, there were 343 people, 145 households, and 101 families residing in the village. The population density was 346.5 inhabitants per square mile (133.8/km2). There were 161 housing units at an average density of 162.6 per square mile (62.8/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.3% White, 1.5% from other races, and 0.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.5% of the population.
There were 145 households of which 30.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.2% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.9% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.3% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.84.
The median age in the village was 41.3 years. 22.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.9% were from 25 to 44; 34.4% were from 45 to 64; and 11.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 51.6% male and 48.4% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 368 people, 150 households, and 97 families residing in the village. The population density was 372.1 people per square mile (143.5/km²). There were 157 housing units at an average density of 158.8 per square mile (61.2/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.46% White, 0.54% from other races. 0.54% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 150 households out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.7% were married couples living together, 8.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.7% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 103.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $31,458, and the median income for a family was $47,813. Males had a median income of $29,000 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,819. About 6.3% of families and 12.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.3% of those under age 18 and 22.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Alfred M. Cook, farmer and politician, lived in Unity.
- Lewis H. Cook, newspaper editor and politician, lived near Unity.
- John W. Salter, farmer and politician, lived in Unity.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Unity village, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1901,' Biographical Sketch of Alfred M. Cook, pg. 754
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1921,' Biographical Sketch of Lewis H. Cook, pg. 276
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1923,' Biographical Sketch of J.W. Salter, pg. 668
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Unity, Wisconsin.|