Daraja la Umoja (Swahili)
Ponte da Unidade (Portuguese)
|Other name(s)||Unity Bridge 1|
|Design||Box girder bridge|
|Total length||720 metres (2,360 ft)|
|Width||13.8 metres (45 ft)|
|Height||up to 10 metres (33 ft)|
|Number of spans||18|
|Constructed by||China Geo Engineering Corporation|
|Construction begin||16 October 2005|
|Construction cost||US$ 35 million|
|Inaugurated||12 May 2010|
The Unity Bridge (sometimes called "Unity Bridge 1") across Ruvuma River at Negomano, Mozambique, between Tanzania and Mozambique was proposed as early as 1975, shortly after Mozambique's independence. It was the idea of the two country's former Presidents, Mwalimu Nyerere and Samora Machel. Several design studies and limited construction work were completed in the early 1980s, but the Unity Bridge was not finished due to lack of funds.
In 2002 the two national governments made a formal agreement to build a new bridge across the river. The first foundation stones were laid both on Tanzanian and Mozambique sides on October 10, 2005. Construction was initially planned to be finished in 2008.
In 2005, Norconsult was awarded the contract for preliminary design and construction supervision of the bridge. It will be about 720 m long.
The project would boost development in Mtwara Region (Tanzania), Cabo Delgado (Mozambique) as well as in the Southern African Development Community region as it is an important component of the Mtwara Development Corridor. It will also shorten the distance along the Cape to Cairo Road.
The Unity Bridge over the Rovuma River was built by The China Geo Engineering Corporation and finally inaugurated on 12 May 2010 by the presidents of Mozambique and Tanzania.
The rehabilitation of access roads on both sides of the bridge is to be started. A second smaller bridge Unity 2 was completed in 2007.
- Friendship Bridge - an alternate name
- Kapama, Faustine (11 September 2008). "Unity Bridge to boost Dar, Maputo business". Daily News (Dar es Salaam). Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "Technical specifications". COWI Africa. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Ministry of Trade and Industry (South Africa), et. al. (21 August 2005). "Prefeasibility And Environmental Baseline Study For The Ruvuma River Interface Final Report" (PDF). Selous - Niassa Wildlife Corridor. p. 56. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- Valy, Bayano (January 2005). "Bridging the Ruvuma, bridging unity". Southern African News Features. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "'Unity Bridge' to link Mozambique and Tanzania". Mail & Guardian (Johannesburg). 8 October 2005. Retrieved 17 March 2010.