Unity Trust Bank
|Type||Public limited company|
|Parent||The Co-operative Group (26.66% ownership)|
Unity Trust Bank Plc provides specialist banking services to trades unions and charities in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1984; head office is located at Nine Brindleyplace in Birmingham. It is the first bank to be awarded the Living Wage Employer Accreditation Mark.
Originally a licensed deposit taking institution, Unity Trust Limited acquired full status as a bank under the provisions of the Banking Act in 1987. Unity Trust Bank is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
Individual trades unions and federations own a majority 73.23% of the bank. The Co-operative Bank Plc, which supplied management expertise in the initial launch period, owns a 26.66% stake through its subsidiary Co-operative Commercial Limited. Certain individuals own the remaining 0.11% of the total equity capital between them. Staff also hold a share of the bank's future, as they all hold shares through the Employee Ownership Scheme.
The Co-operative Bank's stake was put up for sale in early 2014 in an attempt to restore profitability following a capital shortfall, which resulted in a rescue by its bond holders – led by US hedge funds – and the parent Co-operative Group ceding control.
In its founding principles, the bank was established as “an organisation identified with and embracing the philosophy of the common good.” It promotes a socially responsible and sustainable approach to banking and lending. In 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, Unity Trust received best marks for banking services in the Charity Finance magazine banking survey. The Unity in the Community initiative sees staff fundraising and volunteering in local communities and the bank gives them each five volunteer days a year to do this.
An unconnected Unity Joint Stock Mutual Banking Association was formed in London in 1855. This "Unity Bank" went into liquidation in 1862.
- Registered in England and Wales No. 1713124
- Official text of the Banking Act 1987 (cap. 22) as in force today (including any amendments) within the United Kingdom, from the UK Statute Law Database
- Entered in the financial services register under number 204570
- Report and Accounts Unity Trust Bank, 2008
- Treanor, Jill Unity Trust Bank ownership set for overhaul after Co-op Bank's stake sale The Guardian, 14 January 2014
- The bank for the social economy Unity Trust Bank (retrieved 25 August 2013)
- Unity Joint Stock Mutual Banking Association, London, 1855-62 The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, Heritage Online (retrieved 21 November 2010)