Universal Cable Productions
|Industry||Television Production Company|
|Founded||June 1, 2008|
|Headquarters||Universal City, California, United States|
In July 2008, Universal Cable Productions was split off from Universal Media Studios (UMS) and placed into NBCUniversal's NBCU Cable Entertainment division. The unit was placed under the direction of a management team consisting of 5 executives. Originally, UCP was set up to produce shows for NBCU and other cable channels.
Formerly at UMS, Doug Liman and Dave Bartis’ Hypnotic Films & Television moved to UCP after a few shows were turned down at UMS. Hypnotic signed a two-year overall deal with UCP. Hypnotic produced with UCP Covert Affairs for USA Network then I Just Want My Pants Back, its first non-NBCU channel production, for MTV. With Hypnotic and a first chief operating officer hired, UCP has expanded enough that they are moving to produce shows for any network or channel, broadcast or cable. Its NBCU Broadcasting counterpart, Universal Television has also moved to be a full-service TV studio.
UCP signed a "pod deal", a complete development deal that includes ownership of all projects making it impossible to shop a rejected project around, with Tagline. A third pod deal was signed with Gale Anne Hurd's Valhalla Entertainment in April 2012. In July, the company signed an exclusive development deal with John Legend's Get Lifted Film Company.
|Monk||USA||2002–2009||with Mandeville Films and Touchstone Television|
|Psych||USA||2006-2014||with Pacific Mountain Films and Tagline Television|
|Law & Order: Criminal Intent||USA||2007-2011||Series aired on NBC from 2001 until 2007; UCP took over production from Universal Media Studios upon move to USA|
|In Plain Sight||USA||2008–2012|
|Royal Pains||USA||2009 onwards||with 34 Films and Prospect Park Entertainment|
|Covert Affairs||USA||2010 onwards||with Hypnotic Films & Television and Corman Ord|
|Fairly Legal||USA||2011–2012||with Steve Stark Productions, Garfield St. Productions (both 2011), Ocko & Company (from 2012) and Universal Networks International|
|Being Human||Syfy||2011-2014||with Muse Entertainment Enterprises and Zodiak Media Group (Zodiak owns International rights from Seasons 1-3, while Universal handles International distribution from Season 4 onwards)|
|Suits||USA||2011 onwards||with Hypnotic Films & Television|
|Necessary Roughness||USA||2011–2013||with Still Married Productions and Sony Pictures Television (Universal owns US rights, while SPT distributes internationally)|
|Against the Wall||Lifetime||2011||with Paid My Dues Productions|
|Red Faction: Origins||Syfy||2011||TV pilot movie with UFO Films|
|I Just Want My Pants Back||MTV||2012||pilot with Hypnotic Films & Television|
|One Great Life||Fox||2012||with Hypnotic Films & Television|
|Defiance||Syfy||2013 onwards||with Five & Dime Productions|
|Playing House||USA||2014 onwards||with A24 Films and Parham St. Clair Productions|
|Satisfaction||USA||2014 onwards||with Krasnoff/Foster Entertainment and Rhythm Arts Entertainment|
|Dominion||Syfy||2014 onwards||with Sony Pictures Television, Film Afrika, Bold Films and FanFare Productions|
|Ascension||Syfy||2014 onwards||with Blumhouse Productions, Lionsgate Television and Sea to Sky Studios|
|Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce||Bravo||2014 onwards|
|Dig||USA||2015 onwards||with Kesnet Media|
- Lafayette, Jon (July 20, 2008). "NBC Taps Cable-Studio Bosses". TV Week.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 13, 2011). "NBCU’s UMS And UCP Are Branching Out To Produce For Broadcast And Cable Networks". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 5, 2010). "MTV Greenlights ‘Pants’ Drama Pilot From Universal Cable Prods. & Doug Liman". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 27, 2011). "ION Acquires ‘Psych’, ‘Monk’ & ‘House’". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- James, Meg (April 16, 2012). "Universal Cable Productions signs deal with Gale Anne Hurd". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Obenson, Tambay A. (July 31, 2012). "John Legend Entering TV Business; Signs Development Deal With Universal Cable". indiewire.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (September 7, 2011). "Syfy Renews ‘Alphas’ For Second Season". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (July 19, 2010). "SyFy And THQ To Do ‘Red Faction’ Pilot". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (October 17, 2011). "Comedies Produced By Aaron Kaplan And Doug Liman Find Homes". Deadline.com. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Ascension (Syfy)". The Futon Critic. Retrieved July 20, 2014.
- Universal Cable Productions at NBCUni.com
- Universal Cable Productions at NBCU Media Village
- Universal Cable Productions at the Internet Movie Database