Universal Channel (UK and Ireland)
|Owned by||Universal Networks International (NBCUniversal)|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)
16:9, 1080i (HDTV)
0.1% (+1) (September 2014 , BARB)
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom, Ireland|
|Formerly called||Hallmark Entertainment Network
Hallmark Channel (until 18 October 2010)
|Sister channel(s)||CNBC Europe
|Timeshift service||Universal Channel +1|
|Sky (UK)||Channel 113 (SD/HD)
Channel 150 (+1)
Channel 204 (SD)
|Sky (Ireland)||Channel 113
Channel 150 (+1)
Channel 204 (HD)
|Virgin Media||Channel 137
Channel 138 (+1)
|Smallworld Cable||Channel 116|
|UPC Ireland||Channel 123|
|TalkTalk Plus TV||Channel 420|
|Sky Go||Watch live (UK and Ireland only)|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
The Universal Channel is a television channel owned by NBCUniversal.
The channel mainly broadcasts United States imports including drama series and TV movies such as House MD and Law & Order. However the channel also screens British dramas including Hustle and Spooks, and Australian series like Sea Patrol and McLeod's Daughters. The channel specialises in programming that is appropriate for the whole family.
This channel is specific to audiences within the United Kingdom and Ireland.
The channel was previously owned by the privately backed Sparrowhawk Media Group, until late 2007 when the company was bought by NBC Universal. It was previously known as the Hallmark Entertainment Network and the Hallmark Channel.
In June 2009, a memorandum leaked to the television trade newspaper Broadcast stated that NBC Universal planned to rebrand the Hallmark Channel as a Universal Channel in October 2009. The "Hallmark Channel" brand was licensed to NBC Universal from Crown Media (which operates the US Hallmark Channel) and was due to expire. An NBC Universal spokesperson denied such a rebrand would happen.
On 2 September 2010, Universal Networks International confirmed plans to rebrand the Hallmark Channel as the Universal Channel in the UK. On 18 October, the pay-TV channel and its timeshift and high definition variants became the Universal Channel, Universal Channel +1 and Universal Channel HD.
The Universal Channel will give UK premieres to cop show Rookie Blue and legal drama Fairly Legal in early 2011. It will also air Shattered, which stars Callum Keith Rennie as a homicide detective suffering from multiple personality disorder.
On 1 December 2010, Universal Channel launched a specific feed which targets Ireland. Universal Channel in Ireland airs localised advertising. The Irish feed does not include subtitles. TV3 act as the Irish variation's advertising sales agents.
On 31 July 2013 Universal Channel announced it was to reposition the channel's identity to viewers in the UK and Ireland. The new look was launched on 5 August 2013 featuring new logo, on-air and on-line identity. The channel uses the tagline '100% Characters'. This coincides with some new programming arriving to the channel from September including UK and Irish premiere of Bates Motel.
Universal Channel HD
Universal Channel HD, a high-definition simulcast, launched on Sky channel 220 (as the Hallmark Channel HD) on 28 June 2010 at 7pm. Showing US shows like the Law & Order titles, CSI and Without a Trace in high definition.
In July 2005, there were rumours that Sparrowhawk were going to launch a sister channel to the Hallmark Channel, called Hallmark 2. This was denied by a spokesperson for Hallmark who said that "a second channel from Hallmark will not be launching 'anytime soon'". Movies 24 was launched instead.
- 7th Heaven
- Blue Murder
- Breakout Kings
- Cold Case
- Crossing Jordan
- CSI: NY
- Diagnosis: Murder
- Fairly Legal
- Harry's Law
- Law & Order
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- McLeod's Daughters
- The Mentalist
- Perry Mason
- Quincy, M.E.
- Rescue: Special Ops
- Rookie Blue
- Royal Pains
- Sea Patrol
- Sue Thomas: F.B. Eye
- Without a Trace
- Agatha Christie's Poirot
- The District (now on CBS Action)
- Gilmore Girls (later picked up by E4; now on 5*)
- Hogan's Heroes
- JAG (now on CBS Action)
- The Secret World of Alex Mack
- Touched by an Angel (now on CBS Drama)
- Walker, Texas Ranger (now on CBS Action)
- Shepherd, Robert (25 June 2009). "NBC plans to ditch Hallmark UK brand". Broadcast (Emap Media). Retrieved on 25 June 2009.
- "Hallmark Channel to rebrand as Universal". Digital Spy. 2 September 2010.
- "Subtitles in Ireland – From 1st December". Universal Channel. 29 November 2010.
- "Universal ad deal secured by TV3". The Irish Post. 26 December 2010.
- Fletcher, Alex (31 July 2013). "Universal Channel rebrands with '100% Characters' tagline, new logo". Digital Spy. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Sky Extends High Definition Leadership with HD Channel Milestone". British Sky Broadcasting. 12 March 2010.
- "Hallmark Channel HD Launches Tonight on Sky 220". PR Newswire. 28 June 2010.
- "Hallmark Channel HD to launch tonight". Digital Spy. 28 June 2010.
- [dead link]