|Single by Annie Lennox|
|from the album A Christmas Cornucopia|
|Released||12 October 2010|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Genre||Christmas, pop, soul|
|Annie Lennox singles chronology|
"Universal Child" is a single by Scottish recording artist Annie Lennox, released worldwide on 12 October 2010 on Island Records. It is the lead single from her fifth studio album, A Christmas Cornucopia.
"Universal Child" was released digitally on 12 October 2010. According to Metacritic, A Christmas Cornucopia has so far been met with "generally favourable reviews". Ian Wade of BBC Music gave the album a very positive review, saying "this collection could find itself becoming as much a part of the holiday season as arguments with loved ones."  Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine awarded the album 3.5/5 and said "Lennox seems more inspired on A Christmas Cornucopia than she has in years."  John Hunt of Qatar Today magazine gave the album 9/10 and said "in particular, the vocal work and musical arrangement of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" are impactful to the point of being intimidating."
In August 2010, Lennox signed a new contract with Island Records in the UK and Decca Records in the US (both part of the Universal Music Group). Her first release was a Christmas album entitled A Christmas Cornucopia, issued 15 November 2010. The album is a collection of Lennox's interpretations of traditional festive songs such as "Silent Night" and "The First Noel", along with one new composition, "Universal Child", which was released as a download-only single on 13 October 2010. Lennox had previously showcased the song on the American Idol Gives Back TV show in April 2010. She also performed the song live for several TV audiences during the week of the album's release in November. These included The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Dancing With The Stars. She sang the song "Angels from the Realms of Glory" from the album for the TNT special Christmas in Washington.
- "Universal Child" (Radio edit)
- "Universal Child" – 4:14
|UK Singles Charts||88|
- "Annie Lennox : Default : Universal Child (E-Single)". Deccarecords-us.com. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "A Christmas Cornucopia Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. 2010-11-16. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Music - Review of Annie Lennox - A Christmas Cornucopia". BBC. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- "Annie Lennox: A Christmas Cornucopia | Music Review". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- Qatar Today, Jan 2011, Music, Books and Film
- DeGeneres, Ellen (Host); Bocelli, Andrea (Performer); Carey, Mariah (Performer); Cosgrove, Miranda (Performer); Maxwell (Performer); Morrison, Matthew (Performer); Lennox, Annie (Performer) (2010-12-17). "Christmas in Washington 2010". Christmas in Washington. TNT. http://www.tnt.tv/christmasinwashington/.