||This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)
Universal Studios Japan (ユニバーサル・スタジオ・ジャパン), located in Osaka, is one of four Universal Studios theme parks, owned and operated by USJ Co., Ltd. with a license from NBCUniversal The park is similar to Universal Orlando Resort, since it also contains selected attractions from Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood. Most visitors are Japanese tourists and tourists from other Asian countries such as Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea. In 2005 Goldman Sachs became the largest shareholder in Universal Studios Japan. The park opened on March 31, 2001. Universal Studios Japan reached the milestone of attracting the first 10 million visitors faster than any other theme park in the world. Total 11 million guests visited Universal Studios Japan in its first year of operation. USJ is believed to have attracted 8.8 million visitors in fiscal year 2011, though the company does not officially disclose the number. Number of visitors had been in a downtrend after the highest attendance was recorded in the first year. FY 2011 was the 10th anniversary year and various commemorative events were implemented one after another. As a result, attendance in the year achieved growth from the previous year’s approx. 8 million. Universal Studios Japan greeted its 100 millionth visitor on October 29, 2012, Monday, since its opening in 2001. According to 2011Theme Index Global Attraction Attendance Report, Universal Studios Japan is ranked the 9th place among the Top 25 Amusement/theme parks worldwide, attracting 8.5 million visitors in the calendar year 2011, which is 4.2% larger than in the previous year.
The attractions are in nine areas of the park. A tenth area, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Universal Studios Japan)|The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, will open by 2014 with its flagship attraction, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The area will be modelled on the areas of the same names at Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios Hollywood.
New York 
San Francisco 
Jurassic Park 
Snoopy Studios 
- Snoopy's Great Race
- Peppermint Patty's Stunt Slide
- The Flying Snoopy
Hello Kitty Fashion Avenue 
- Hello Kitty's Cupcake Dream
- Hello Kitty's Ribbon Collection
Sesame Street Fun Zone 
Elmo's Imagination Playland:
- Elmo's Bubble Bubble
- Abby's Magical Party
- Moppy's Lucky Dance Party
- Big Bird's Big Nest
- Grover's Construction Company
- Bert and Ernie's Wonder-The Sea
Sesame Central Park:
- Sesame's Big Drive
- Big Bird's Climbing Nest
- Abby's Magical Tree
- Abby's Magical Garden
- Water Garden
- Cookie Monster Slide
- Ernie's Rubber Duckie Race
Sesame Street Plaza:
- Elmo's Little Drive
- Big Bird's Big Top Circus
Water World 
Amity Village 
Former attractions 
The former E.T. Adventure
- The Western Area, and with it The Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show and the Animal Actors show, were revamped to become Land of Oz in 2006. This involved completely re-theming two live shows, one restaurant, and a number of retail facilities.
- The Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show was a live stunt show based upon a wide variety of Universal's Western films. Opening on 31 March 2001, in the Western Town section of the park, the show featured several cowboy-themed actors surviving death-defying stunts, shootings and explosions. The show closed in 2006 and has since been replaced by Wicked.
- E.T. Adventure has been replaced by Space Fantasy: The Ride.
- Monster Make-Up has been closed and its replacement is unknown.
Land of Oz (closed in 2011) 
- Animation Celebration
- 2002 THEA Award (presented by TEA) WINNER in Attraction,
- Peter Pan's Neverland
- 2007 THEA Award (presented by TEA) WINNER in Event Spectacular,
- The Gift of Angels
- 2009 Big E Award, Best Overall Production, (presented by IIAPA) WINNER in Best Overall Production more than $2 million,
- Magical Starlight Parade
- 2009 Big E Award, Best Overall Production, (presented by IIAPA) Honorary Mention in Best Overall Production more than $2 million,
Key Activities 
- Smile Kids Free Pass May 14 – June 30, 2011
- For the cause of “Cheering up Japan from Kansai”, a unique program was implemented based on an idea conceived by Mr. Tōru Hashimoto, then Osaka Prefecture Governor. During the period, free admission for a child was offered for one paid adult.
- Improvement of business efficiency for employee
- USJ Co., Ltd. was given the award and recognized by The Nikkei Newspaper as an excellent business establishment that has realized exemplary work environment in the 21st century by improving business efficiency and contributing community and society in response to the raise of network-based society and global environmental conservation.
Official hotels 
Hotel Kintetsu Universal City (left) and Hotel Keihan Universal Tower (right).
There are five official hotels at or near the park.
- Hotel Keihan Universal City.
- Hotel Kintetsu Universal City.
- Hotel Keihan Universal Tower.
- Hotel Universal Port.
- Hotel Seagull Tempozan Osaka. (10 minute boat ride away at Osaka Bay.)
Universal CityWalk Osaka 
Universal CityWalk Osaka.
Universal CityWalk Osaka links the JR train station with the park entrance. It is a 3 floors shopping mall filled with numerous shops and restaurants, including a Takoyaki museum.
- The PEANUTS Characters, usually featured at Cedar Fair parks in North America, are controlled by Universal Studios in Japan.
- The Sesame Street Characters, featured at SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment parks in America, are controlled by Universal Studios in Japan.
- In 2011, USJ’s Christmas tree was recognized by the Guinness World Records as the most illuminated Christmas tree in the world having 260,498 lights.
In November 2004, a 35-year-old woman from Osaka Prefecture suffered nerve damage in her right wrist, resulting in aftereffect of use of two of her fingers. This occurred when her hand got stuck in a safety bar of the E.T. attraction as an employee pulled it down to secure it.
See also 
- ^ "Universal Studios Japan Welcomes 11". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2008-06-01.
- ^ Nikkei electronic version. 2012-05-18.
- ^ "Universal Studios Japan visitors top 100 million". Retrieved 2 JNov 2012.
- ^ "2011Theme Index Global Attraction Attendance Report". Retrieved 15 Jun 2012.
- ^ "Universal Studios Japan Attraction/Studio Guide". usj.co.jp. Retrieved 2006-11-19.
- ^ Fritz, Ben (9 May 2012). "Harry Potter heads to Universal Studios Japan". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- ^ Strother, Susan G. (12 July 1991). "Universal Kicks Off Western Show". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- ^ "USJ theme park has continued to misuse explosives.". Japan Weekly Monitor. 19 August 2002. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- ^ "SCREAMSCAPE Presents - The 2001 Ultimate Awards". 2002-09-18. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ "The Theme Park Insider Awards". Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ a b "Thea Recipients". Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ "14th Annual THEA Awards". Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ "IAAPA 2009 BIG E AWARDS". Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ "IAAPA 2009 Big E Awards Recognize Top-Notch Live Entertainment in the Attractions Industry Europe, Japan, and United States Productions Stand Out in 2009". 2009-11-18. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- ^ "TEA/AECOM 2008 Global Attractions Report". Themed Entertainment Association. 2008. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- ^ "TEA/AECOM 2009 Global Attractions Report". Themed Entertainment Association. 2009. Archived from the original on June 2, 2010. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- ^ "TEA/AECOM 2010 Global Attractions Report". Themed Entertainment Association. 2010. Archived from the original on July 19, 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- ^ "TEA/AECOM 2011 Global Attractions Report". Themed Entertainment Association. 2011. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- ^ "Universal Studios Japan Official hotels". Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- ^ "Universal CityWalk Osaka". Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- ^ "Quick Hits". Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- ^ "USJ settles with woman hurt on E.T. attraction". The Daily Yomiuri. 2000-11-24. Retrieved 2006-12-15.
External links