Universitas Siswa Bangsa Internasional
|Universitas Siswa Bangsa Internasional|
|Sampoerna School of Business
Sampoerna School of Education
|Rector||Prof. Dr. M. Aman Wirakartakusumah|
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
|Affiliations||Putera Sampoerna Foundation|
Universitas Siswa Bangsa Internasional (also known by the acronym USBI), or Sampoerna University, is an international university located in Jakarta, Indonesia. It is the first Indonesian university to offer an accredited U.S. degree entirely within Indonesia.
In 2009, the Putera Sampoerna Foundation (PSF) founded the Sampoerna School of Education (SSE) to address the insufficient number of high-quality math and English teachers in Indonesia. This was followed in 2010 by PSF's establishment of the Sampoerna School of Business (SSB) which offered degree programs in accounting, finance, marketing and management.
In 2013, both SSE and SSB were relaunched as the Faculty of Education and the Faculty of Business and Economics, respectively. Together with newly launched Faculty of Art, Design and Media and the Faculty of Science and Technology, as well as the new Institute of Languages and Communication, they now constitute the academic units of Universitas Siswa Bangsa Internasional.
U.S. Associate Degree Program and International Pathways
USBI is the first university to offer an accredited U.S. degree in Indonesia. Upon entry to any USBI degree program, students are automatically dual-enrolled in Lone Star College, a community college located in Houston, Texas. Students earn both Lone Star College System and USBI credit during their first two years of study. After the successful completion of two years of study, students are awarded a Lone Star College associate degree. This is the first such mechanism awarding both American and Indonesian credit to students in Indonesia.
Following the award of an associate degree, students are eligible to transfer to any university in the United States which recognizes Lone Star College System credit. Past transfers from LSCS have successfully graduated from universities such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, UCLA, Texas A&M University, and Texas Tech University, among others.
The 6 hectare rental USBI campus is located in Pancoran, South Jakarta. Following a million dollar renovation in 2012, classrooms now have walls which are usable whiteboard surfaces and can be reconfigured to accommodate large lectures or small discussion groups.
Campus facilities include a 9,000 book library, an auditorium, MBPS soccer field, volleyball court, badminton court, health clinic, a student-run café, two language labs, and three computer labs. Campus space is also devoted to a wet lab for biology and chemistry. A canteen is under development. Four art studios house a photography lab, filming and journalism equipment, and a "future studio" which highlights emerging technologies. A professional game development space is being constructed for teaching and industry collaboration.
All USBI courses are taught in English and are aligned with industry needs through the oversight of industry advisory boards. Curriculum is designed around experiential learning, with most degree programs requiring an internship. Additionally, all students are required to take courses in leadership, entrepreneurship, and social responsibility.
USBI currently offers 14 undergraduate degree programs and 24 unique conferrable degrees. Student from any degree program may transfer to universities overseas for years three and four of their program, thus earning a total of three degrees (one from USBI, one from Lone Star College System, and one from their overseas university).
- Visual Communication Design
- Fashion and Textile Design (specialization)
- Film, Video and Photography (specialization)
- Social and Environmental Design (specialization)
Faculty of Economics and Business
- Banking Management
- Finance Management
- Food Business Management
- General Management
- Marketing Management
Faculty of Education
- English Language Education
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language for Secondary Schools
- English for Young Learners
- Mathematics Education
- Mathematics Education for Secondary Schools
- Mathematics Education for Young Learners
Faculty of Science and Technology
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Computer Games Engineering
- Information Security
- Mobile Communication Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science
The following activities are open to all USBI students:
- BPM (Student Representative Board)
- SEMA (Student Senate)
- SMILY (SSE Muslim Family)
- SMOOTHY (SSB Muslim Family)
- SCC (Christian Community)
- Entrepreneur Club (EC)
- Math Club
- Debate Club
- Information and Communications Technology Club
- Journalist, Movie and Photography Club
- Choir Club
- Traditional Dance Club
- Table Tennis
- Business Club
- Choir & Acoustic (Harmony of Sampoerna)
- Sport Club
- Adventure Club (Sanatura Amantes)
- English Club
Additionally, there are mosques, Protestant churches and Catholic churches located near campus.
- "USBI and Lone Star College Partner to Offer the First Accredited U.S. Degree in Indonesia". U.S. - Indonesia Joint Council. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Fischer, Karin (31 October 2010). "A New Indonesian University Will Train Students to Solve National Problems". The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Pratiwi, Gustyanita. "Universitas Baru Jebolan Sampoerna Janjikan 3 Gelar dalam 4 Tahun". SWA Magazine.
- Slack, Eric. "Lone Star College System". Education Executive.