University of Hasselt
University of Hasselt
|Motto||Knowledge in Action|
|Established||1971 (UHasselt since 2005)|
|Rector||Luc De Schepper|
|Campus||Urban, Science park|
Hasselt University (Dutch: Universiteit Hasselt) is a university with campuses in Hasselt and Diepenbeek, Belgium. It was officially established in 1971, as the Limburgs Universitair Centrum (LUC). However, it was not until 1973 that the university - literally - opened its doors and welcomed its first students.
On June 15, 2005 the university changed its name to Hasselt University.
The university consists of 6 faculties:
- The Faculty of Law
- The Faculty of Sciences (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Biology and Chemistry);
- The Faculty of Business Economics (Applied Economics and Commercial Engineering)
- The Faculty of Medicine and Life Sciences (Medicine and Biomedical Sciences).
- The Faculty of Industrial Engineering
- The Faculty of Arts and Architecture
The rector of the university currently is Prof. Luc de Schepper, the vice rectors are Prof. Paul Janssen and Prof. Jean-Michel Rigo.
Hasselt is situated about one hour driving from cities such as Brussels, Antwerp and Aachen (Germany), and is very near to Liège and Maastricht (the Netherlands).
Hasselt University has two campuses: one in Diepenbeek and one in Hasselt. Campus Diepenbeek occupies an 150 acre site in the middle of Limburg's green belt. The 'city campus' in Hasselt was inaugurated in September 2012. The complex consists of three buildings, located near each other: the Vice Chancellor’s Office Building, the Faculty of Law and the ‘Oude Gevangenis’ (the renovated ‘Old Prison’). The former prison provides a new home to primarily law students, with several study rooms and two auditoriums. The several old prison cells are rebuilt into small study rooms, which can give place for 3 students. The Student Service Center, where enrollment of new students takes place, is also located in the ‘Oude Gevangenis’.
- 2008-2009: 2,628 students
- 2009-2010: 2,886 students
- 2010-2011: 3,084 students
- 2011-2012: 3,310 students
Staff population: On February 1, 2013, 976 staff members were employed at Hasselt University.
Higher education reform
In September 2013, four new (bachelor's and master's) programmes will be added to the university’s curriculum: Architecture, Interior Design, Rehabilitation Sciences & Physiotherapy and Industrial Sciences. This expansion also entails the creation of two brand new faculties: the Faculty of Architecture & Arts and the Faculty of Engineering Technology. That will bring the total number of faculties to six, alongside the Faculty of Business Economics, Faculty of Medicine & Life Sciences, Faculty of Sciences and the Faculty of Law.
This latest expansion process – which is part of a higher education reform in Flanders – means Hasselt University will be home to about 5,400 students (up from approximately 3,000 before the expansion) and 1,100 academic, administrative and technical staff members (up from about 850 before the expansion).
Research institutes of the university:
- BIOMED - Biomedical Research Institute
- CenStat - Centre for statistics
- CMK - Centre for Environmental Sciences
- CORe - Centre for Government and Law
- CTL - Centre Applied Linguistics http://www.ctl.uhasselt.be
- EDM - Expertise Centre for Digital Media
- IMO - Institute for Material Research
- IMOB - Transportation Research Institute
- KIZOK - Knowledge Institute for innovation management and Small and medium enterprise
- SEIN - Identity, Diversity and Inequality Research
The most important student organisation is the student's union, StuRa: a group of 14 elected students who are the representatives of the students and who make sure the student's rights are respected.
Other Student organisations at the University Hasselt are:
- AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales) http://www.aieseclimburg.be
- Junior Consulting (A student consultancy organisation)
- Dip's (For students biology and chemistry) http://www.dips.be
- Filii Lamberti (For students mathematics, physics and CS) http://www.filii.be
- Miezerik (For medicine students) http://miezerik.luc.ac.be
- Biomedica (For students biomedical sciences) http://biomedica.uhasselt.be
- Hermes (For students economy) http://www.hermesdiepenbeek.be/
- Commeatus A new organisation for students who study transport studies. http://www.commeatus.be (Site in Dutch only)
- AES (Association for Exchange Students) http://student.uhasselt.be/~aesaix
- CCG (Christelijke Campus Gemeenschap ; Christian Campus Society) http://www.ccgdiepenbeek.be
- VLUG (Vrijzinnig Limburgs Universitair Genootschap ; Secular Limburgish University Society)
- Science and technology in Flanders
- Limburg Science Park
- University Foundation
- Flanders Interuniversity Institute of Biotechnology (VIB)
- Interuniversity Microelectronics Centre (IMEC)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hasselt University.|
- Hasselt University
- More information about higher education in Flanders/Belgium (in English)
- Find an officially recognised programme of this institution in the Higher Education Register