University of Twente
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|University of Twente|
|Motto||High Tech, Human Touch|
|Rector||Prof. dr. H. (Ed) Brinksma|
University of Twente (Dutch: Universiteit Twente; Dutch pronunciation: [ynivɛrsiˈtɛit ˈtʋɛntə]) is a university located in Enschede, Netherlands. It offers research and degree programmes in the social and behavioral sciences and in engineering. In keeping with its entrepreneurial spirit, the University is committed to making economic and social contribution to the region of the Netherlands where it is based. The UT collaborates with Delft University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology under the umbrella of the 3TU.Federation, and is also a partner in the European Consortium of Innovative Universities (ECIU).
The University was founded in 1961 as the Technische Hogeschool Twente, the Netherlands’ third higher vocational institute of technology later to become a university (the other two being Delft and Eindhoven). Accordingly, in 1986, it changed its name to Universiteit Twente (University of Twente). The Dutch government’s decision to locate the new institute in Enschede, the main city of Twente, had much to do with the north-eastern province’s rich industrial history. Another important consideration was the fact that the local economy needed a boost to compensate for the dwindling textile industry.
The University of Twente was built on the former country estate of Drienerlo, situated between Hengelo and Enschede. On this beautifully landscaped 140 hectare estate, comprising woodland, meadows and water, architects Van Tijen and Van Embden designed the Netherlands’ first - and so far only - campus university along American lines. Students and staff live, work and pursue their leisure activities on campus. Through the years, several other important architects and artists have made their own contributions to the design of the campus.
Students and staff at the University of Twente continue to form an active academic community. The beautiful campus of the University has excellent sports and cultural facilities that have stimulated the development of a rich mix of student societies, student social events, and a constant flow of new initiatives. The Student Union, which is run entirely by students, promotes the interests of all student societies and also manages several premises, including the student social centre in the heart of Enschede.
The current rector of the university is Prof.dr. H. Brinksma, who took the post in 2009 and was reappointed in 2012. The other two members of the executive board are Mr. V. van der Chijs (President Executive Board) and Ir. K.J. van Ast (Vice-President) 
There are Six Faculties at the University of Twente:
- School of Management and Governance (SMG+)
- Behavioural Sciences (GW+)
- Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS+)
- Engineering Technology (CTW+)
- Science and Technology (TNW+)
- Faculty of Geo-information Sciences and Earth Observation (ITC) (ITC+)
Each Faculty is in turn organized into several departments.
- MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology (MESA+)
- MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine (MIRA)
- Center for Telematics and Information technology (CTIT)
- Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies (IGS)
Knowledge and research centres
- CEPTES - Center for Philosophy of Technology and Engineering Science (CEPTES+)
- CES - Center for European Studies (CES+)
- CHEPS - Center for Higher Education Policy Studies (CHEPS+)
- CHOIR - Center for healthcare operations improvement & research (CHOIR+)
- CIPV - Centre for integrated manufacturing and development (CIPV+)
- CSSTS - Center for Studies of Science, Technology and Society (CSSTS+)
- CSTM - Center for clean technology and environmental policy (CSTM+)
- Drebbel - Drebbel institute for Mechatronics (Drebbel +)
- Institute for Sport & Leisure (sport en leisure+)
- IPIT - Instituut voor maatschappelijke veiligheidsvraagstukken (IPIT+)
- ITM - Institute of Technical Medicine (ITM+)
- Nikos - Dutch institute for knowledge intensive entrepreneurship (Nikos+)
- STePS - Science, Technology, and Policy Studies (STePS) (+)
- TESI - Twente Embedded Systems Initiative (TESI+)
- TWC - Twente Water Centre (TWC+)
- TwiCor - Twente institute for Communication research
- VRINT - Virtual Reality Initiative Twente (VRINT+)
The degree programmes at the University of Twente range from business administration, psychology to applied physics, engineering and biomedical technology. The curriculum is broad, flexible and relevant to the labour market. Most students combine coursework in their major subject with a coherent set of minors in another discipline. A growing number of foreign students are finding their way to the UT. Almost all postgraduate programmes (and several undergraduate programmes) are taught in English. Half of all PhD students at the UT now come from outside the Netherlands.
The University of Twente has a world class research programme. In the applied sciences, the emphasis is on nanotechnology, process technology, engineering, information & communication technology, and the biomedical sciences. The University also has a strong track record in management and behavioural sciences.
The University of Twente sets great importance on the useful application of knowledge in the society. Patents, lifelong learning programmes, and spin-off companies testify to this commitment, as does UT’s intensive involvement in research programmes that enhance knowledge infrastructure in the Netherlands. So far, the UT has produced over 700 spin-off companies; more than any other Dutch university.
From the outset, the University of Twente has sought to put the applied sciences in a wider social context. Students and researchers are always challenged to look beyond the boundaries of their own subject area and to establish links between different disciplines. The University of Twente believes that a multidisciplinary approach will stimulate innovation in science and society alike.
In 2013 QS World University Rankings ranked the University of Twente 228 overall in the world. Its subject rankings were: 135 in Engineering & Technology, 230 in Natural Sciences, and 311 in Social Sciences & Management.
In 2013-14 Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked the University of Twente 170 overall in the world. Also, the University was ranked 73 overall in the world in the field of Engineering and technology.
University of Twente also holds the title of the most entrepreneurial university in Netherlands and was voted the best Dutch university in the area of valorization.
Timeline of rectors
- 1963 - 1967: Professor Gerrit Berkhoff († 1996)
- 1967 - 1971: Professor Jo Vlugter
- 1971 - 1974: Professor Pieter Zandbergen
- 1974 - 1976: Professor Jan Kreiken († 2001)
- 1976 - 1979: Professor Izak Willem van Spiegell († 2005)
- 1979 - 1982: Professor Harry van den Kroonenberg († 1996)
- 1982 - 1985: Professor Wiebe Draijer († 2007)
- 1985 - 1988: Professor Harry van den Kroonenberg (Second term)
- 1988 - 1992: Professor Jos de Smit
- 1992 - 1997: Professor Theo Popma († 2013)
- 1997 - 2004: Professor Frans van Vught
- 2005 - 2009: Professor Henk Zijm
- 2009–present: Professor Ed Brinksma
- Bas Lansdorp Co-founder and CEO of Mars One
- Albert van den Berg (physicist) Professor of Physics, 2009 winner of the Spinoza Prize
- Casper Peeters CEO of Xsens Technologies B.V.
- Rob Bats Dutch politician
- Yasemin Çegerek MP of the Labour Party
- Peter Flach Professor of Artificial Intelligence at the University of Bristol
- Henry Franken Co-founder and managing director of BiZZdesign
- Dirk-Willem van Gulik Founder of the Apache Software Foundation
- Geert-Jan Bruinsma Founder of Booking.com
- Han Polman Dutch politician
- Gom van Strien Dutch politician
- Fred Teeven State Secretary for Security and Justice
- Ank Bijleveld Dutch politician
- Bram Nauta Professor of Integrated Circuit Design, 2014 winner of Simon Stevin Master award
- Stefano Stramigioli Professor of Robotics and Mechatronics, Former editor in chief of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine
- Jamie Hyneman Co-host of the television series MythBusters (honorary doctorate)
- Adam Savage Co-host of the television series MythBusters (honorary doctorate)
- Helga Nowotny Professor emerita of Social Studies of Science, ETH Zurich, former President of the ERC, the European Research Council (honorary doctorate)
- Roger Needham University of Cambridge and Microsoft Research (honorary doctorate)
Notes and references
- Jaarverslag UT 2007 [Year report 2007], University of Twente.
- "History of the University of Twente". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "History of the University of Twente". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Members of the Executive Board". Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "University of Twente, Faculties". Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "University of Twente Top universities".
- "World University Rankings 2014-2015". Times Higher Education. 2014. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "QS World University Rankings (2014/15)". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2014. Retrieved September 21, 2014.
- "QS World University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2012. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "The 2013-2014 Times Higher Education World University Rankings' Engineering and Technology". The Times Higher Education. 2014. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- "QS World Engineering Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- "Leiden Ranking 2014". Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Webometrics Ranking of World Universities". www.webometrics.info. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "QS World University Rankings".
- "University of Twente". Topuniversities. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "times higher education rankings".
- "University of Twente". timeshighereducation. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- "times higher education rankings Engineering and Technology".
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities".
- "world rankings Engineering". Shanghai Academic Ranking. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Twente.|
- Official Website
- Bsc studies at the University of Twente
- MSc studies at the University of Twente
- International Office
- The campus in 3D
- Campuswiki, the Dutch wiki for the campus community of the UT.