Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (November 2013)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|University of Malaysia, Terengganu|
|Universiti Malaysia Terengganu|
|Motto||Terokaan Seluas Lautan|
Motto in English
|Ocean of Discoveries|
|Chancellor||Sultanah Nur Zahirah, The Queen Of Malaysia and The Sultanah Of Terengganu Darul Iman|
|Vice-Chancellor||Profesor Emeritus Dato' Dr. Ibrahim bin Komoo|
|Location||Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia|
The Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (English: University of Malaysia, Terengganu) or UMT, formerly known as Kolej Universiti Sains dan Teknologi Malaysia (English: University College of Science and Technology Malaysia) or KUSTEM, in Malaysia, was officially chartered on February 1, 2007.
It was formerly known as the University College of Terengganu (Kolej Universiti Terengganu, KUT) in 1999. The founding of the university can be traced back to 1979 when the Centre for Fisheries and Marine Science was founded in Mengabang Telipot, Terengganu. Over the years the Centre has moved on from its original role and diversified to become the centre for maritime and oceanography research and development. It was later renamed University Putra Malaysia Terengganu (UPMT). The Incorporation Order of KUT (Perbadanan) 1999 (PUA 292) was passed by the Parliament on July 27, 1999, enabling the inception of KUT.
The Malaysian government agreed to rename KUSTEM to Universiti Malaysia Terengganu in 2007. The name change was in place because the term 'university college' (Kolej Universiti) tends to give a negative impression that the institution is of lower standard as compared to other universities.
There are six faculties in Universiti Malaysia Terengganu:
- Faculty of Science and Technology (Fakulti Sains dan Teknologi, FST)
- Faculty of Management and Economics (Fakulti Pengurusan dan Ekonomi, FPE)
- Faculty of Agrotechnology and Food Science (Fakulti Agroteknologi dan Sains Makanan, FASM)
- Faculty of Maritime Studies and Marine Science (Fakulti Pengajian Maritim dan Sains Marin, FMSM)
- Faculty of Social Development (Fakulti Pembangunan Sosial, FPS)
- Faculty of Fishery and Aquaculture (Fakulti Perikanan dan Akua-Industri, FPAI)