Universiti Teknologi MARA
|Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia
اونيۏرسيتي تيكنولوڬي مارا
Seal of Universiti Teknologi MARA
|RIDA Training Centre (1956–1965), MARA College (1965–1967), MARA Institute of Technology (1967–1999)|
|Motto||Usaha, Taqwa, Mulia
اوسها تقوى مليا
Motto in English
|Endeavour, Religious, Dignified|
|Chairman||Tan Sri Dato' Dr. Wan Mohd Zahid Mohd Noordin |
|Chancellor||HRH Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong|
|Vice-Chancellor||Tan Sri Dato' Sri Professor Ir. Dr. Sahol Hamid Abu Bakar |
|Students||40,000 on main campus and 80,000 throughout the country|
|Location||Shah Alam, Malaysia|
|Campus||12 state branches|
|Colours||Purple and blue
Universiti Teknologi MARA (Jawi: اونيۏرسيتي تيكنولوڬي مارا; Abbreviation: UiTM; English: MARA University of Technology[Note 1]) is a public university with its main campus located in Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.
The Shah Alam campus is the flagship institution of the Universiti Teknologi MARA System, the largest university in Malaysia in terms of size and student enrolment and the only public university carrying out intakes twice a year.
The university faculties comprise 4,000 academics, scholars and researchers. The university has expanded nationwide with four satellite campuses, 12 branch campuses, nine city campuses and 21 affiliated colleges. With this network and over 17,000 staff, the university offers more than 300 academic programmes. It is home to some 172,000 students: bumiputeras and international students. The teaching is fully conducted in English.
- 1 History
- 2 Reputation and rankings
- 3 Partner institutions
- 4 Faculties and academic centres
- 5 Affiliated colleges
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 Notes
- 8 External links
- 9 References
It began in November 1956 as Dewan Latehan RIDA (Rural and Industrial Development Authority Training Center) in Petaling Jaya, Selangor. The school later became known as Maktab MARA (MARA College) in 1965. The name change meant that the college no longer operated under RIDA and instead became the most important unit of the MARA Training Division. MARA stands for Majlis Amanah Rakyat (Council of Trust for the People) under the leadership of Tan Sri Arshad Ayub.
In 1967, the college was upgraded to Institut Teknologi MARA (MARA Institute of Technology) or ITM. Its establishment came as a response to a need in Malaysia for trained professionals, especially among Bumiputeras.
The development of ITM was in three stages:
- From 1967 to 1976, ITM was an autonomous body with its own 300 acre (1.2 km²) campus in Shah Alam, operating under the Ministry of Rural Development.
- From 1976 to 1996, ITM advanced as an institution of higher learning and not only as a professional training institute, operating directly under the Ministry of Education.
- In 1996, an amendment to the ITM Act of 1976 conferred ITM with a university status with a degree granting power but its name was retained until 1999 when it became Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM).
Reputation and rankings
From 1965 to 1996, as a professional training institute, ITM only offered Pre-Diploma, Diploma, degree-equivalent Advanced Diploma and professional bodies qualifications. Since ITM was not a "university" by name and despite its Advanced Diploma's equivalency to Bachelor Degree, some members of the public had a misconception that the institution was a lesser choice compared to universities especially with the admission policy and minimum entry requirements.
UiTM has been rated positively by local and international bodies as follows:
- In 2010, UiTM (Shah Alam Campus) was rated Tier 5: Excellent in the 2009 Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) Rating System for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia (SETARA '09).
- In 2011, UiTM was ranked #601+ in the 2011 QS World University Rankings.
- In 2012, UiTM was ranked #201 to 250 in the 2012 QS Asian University Rankings.
- UiTM shared the 8th place with Universiti Teknologi Petronas for the top universities in Malaysia which is above Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia, Limkokwing University of Creative Technology, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Universiti Utara Malaysia and many other unlisted universities.
- In 2012, UiTM maintained its rank of #601+ in the 2012 QS World University Rankings.
- In 2012, UiTM (Shah Alam Campus) maintained its rating of Tier 5: Excellent in the 2011 Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) Rating System for Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia (SETARA '11).
- In 2012, UiTM was rated 2 stars in 2011 Malaysian Research Assessment Instrument (MyRA) where universities are given “star ratings” for their research, development and commercialisation efforts.
- In 2012, UiTM was awarded by MOHE Entrepreneurial Awards 2012 as Entrepreneurial University Of The Year.
- In 2013, UiTM maintained its rank of #201 to 250 in the 2013 QS Asian University Rankings.
- In 2013, UiTM fell to the rank of #701+ in the 2013 QS World University Rankings
- In 2014, UiTM rose to the rank of 651-700 
UiTM academic partners include local and international universities and professional bodies. It started with professional bodies like the London Chamber of Commerce, the Australian Chartered Secretaryship, the Australian Society of Accountants, the British Institute of Management and later college and universities like Ealing Technical College (now part of University of West London ) in the 1960s and Ohio University in the 1980s. Soon after, other partners came on board such as the University of London International Programmes, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA), the Chartered Institute of Transport (CIT), the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE), the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), London College of Printing, Institute and Faculty of Actuaries of United Kingdom  and many more. 
Faculties and academic centres
There are 24 faculties, two academic centres and 312 programmes in UiTM:
Science and Technology cluster
- Faculty of Architecture, Planning and Surveying (AP)
- Faculty of Applied Science (AS)
- Faculty of Plantation and Agrotechnology (AT) )
- Faculty of Computer and Mathematical Sciences (CS)
- Faculty of Sport and Recreational Sciences (SR)
- Faculty of Dentistry (DS)
- Faculty of Health Science (HS)
- Faculty of Medicine (MD)
- Faculty of Pharmacy (PH)
- Faculty of Civil Engineering (EC)
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Faculty of Chemical Engineering (EH)
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (EM)
Social Science & Humanities cluster
- Faculty of Administrative Science and Policy Studies (AM)
- Faculty of Law (LW)
- Faculty of Communication and Media Studies (MC)
- Faculty of Art and Design (AD)
- Faculty of Education (ED)
- Faculty of Film, Theater, & Animation (CT)
- Faculty of Music (MU)
Business and Management cluster
Business and Management
- Faculty of Accountancy (AC)
- Faculty of Business Management (BM)[Note 2]
- Arshad Ayub Graduate Business School
- Faculty of Hotel and Tourism Management (HM)
- Faculty of Information Management (IM)
- . Academy of Language Studies (APB)
- Academy of Contemporary Islamic Studies ( ACIS )
Students who failed to be accepted to study at the campuses can opt to study selected programmes by the university but conducted externally at the affiliated colleges.
UiTM alumni include a Chief Judge for Sabah and Sarawak; prominent lawyers; scientists; physicians; politicians; academicians; CEOs; artists; journalists; entrepreneurs; members of parliament; and Cabinet Ministers.
- Under the Universiti Teknologi MARA Act 173, the formal name for the university is Universiti Teknologi MARA and the English transliteration cannot be used.
- With reference to the Vice Chancellor's Circular No. 19/2011, the Faculty of Office Management and Technology (OM) has been merged with the Faculty of Business Management (BM), effective 1 September 2011.
- http://www.uitm.edu.my/index.php/en Official website]
- http://www.uitm.edu.my/index.php/bm Official website] (Malay)
- "Historical Development". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Moto, Visi, Misi, Falsafah & Objektif Universiti (Malay)". UiTM. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "University Motto, Vision, Mission, Philosophy & Objectives". UiTM. Retrieved 12 August 2014.
- "Board of Directors". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Chancellor". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Vice Chancellor". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Pro-Chancellors". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "University Profile". Universiti Teknologi MARA. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Dasar Pengambilan" [Intake Basis] (in Malay). UiTM Student Intake Division. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "QS World University Rankings 2011/12". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- QS Asian University Rankings 2012
- "QS World University Rankings 2012".