University Canada West
|University Canada West (UCW)|
|Motto||Learning that Fits |
|Location||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Colors||Red and White|
University Canada West (UCW) is a private educational institution in British Columbia, Canada. University Canada West is Canada's first for-profit university. Founded in 2005 by David F. Strong, a former president of the University of Victoria, it was purchased in 2008 by the Eminata Group, which is based in Vancouver. Arthur Coren is currently the president of the university.
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Media and Communications
- Public Relations
- Communications Management
Bachelor of Commerce (BComm), General Studies
- Public Relations
- Business Communications
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
University Canada West has four terms per year; September, January, April, June.
In addition to fulfilling the provincial charter, a university's membership with the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC) can be considered the de facto accreditation for Canadian universities, but University Canada West is a for-profit university; and therefore, it does not qualify for AUCC membership.
The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC), a unit of the Council of Ministers of Education of Canada (CMEC), identifies University Canada West on their "list of recognized and authorized postsecondary institutions". The CICIC regards itself as “the only authoritative list of all postsecondary institutions (including the AUCC and ACCC) in one web site recognized by the competent jurisdictional authorities.”
The University Canada West MBA is not accredited by the three largest business school accreditation bodies. The three major accrediting bodies are the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), which accredits research universities, the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), which accredits universities and colleges, and the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE), all of which also accredit schools outside the US. University Canada West is working towards accreditation through ACBSP. 
Tuition for a full undergraduate degree program at UCAN is higher than similar programs at public universities due to the fact that it is not publicly subsidized. According to the Student Aid BC website, 30 per cent of UCW students defaulted on their government-backed loans in 2009. That compares with a default rate of 3.7% at the University of British Columbia and 4.7% at the University of Victoria.
Established in 2005, the university was sold by David Strong to Eminata Group, who owns small colleges in Vancouver only three years later. At the time, Vancouver Sun reported that the university was losing $300,000 per month. In 2011 it closed its Victoria campus.Students were informed by email that they could continue their studies online or transfer to the Vancouver campus.  Some students stated that they found it difficult to get their credits transferred to other institutions. Some students were also unhappy that the university's announcement closing the Victoria campus came immediately after the final day for dropping classes without financial penalty.
In March 2012, The Province reported that some dissatisfied students from UCW expressed "disappointment" with their experience at the university to BC Opposition leader Adrian Dix, who in turn called for a closer look at the regulatory bodies responsible for monitoring B.C.’s for-profit schools.
In October 2012, "over 30 students, graduates, faculty and former teachers and employees interviewed by Hindustan Times have alleged that it is a university only in name, and that many of them were duped.".
- "UCW Abbreviation". UCW Abbreviation. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "UCW Motto". ucanwest.ca. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Sun, Sep 8, 2013, 3:35 AM EDT – U.S. Markets closed (2012-11-13). "Dr. Skip Triplett Elected Chair of Board of Governance at University Canada West – Yahoo! Finance". Finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "First Chancellor Appointed at University Canada West". Universitycanadawest.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "University Color Scheme". University Canada West. UCW. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Former UVic President Forms Private University". Ucan.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "University Division". Eminata.com. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Founder replaced at University Canada West". .canada.com. 2009-12-09. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "B.C. university teetering on bankruptcy has been sold". Canada.com. 2008-11-23. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Undergrad". Undergrad. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "CICIC > Fact Sheet No 5". Cicic.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Degree Accreditation in Canada" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Information on how to become a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada". Aucc.ca. 2009-12-03. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Canadian Information Centre for International Credential – Centre d'information Canadien sur les diplômes internationaux". Cicic.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Directory of Universities, Colleges and Schools in Canada - University Canada West". CICDI. Retrieved 4 Apr 2014.
- "Registry of EQA Institutions | BC – Education Quality Assurance". Bceqa.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Degree Quality Assessment Board" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "AACSB Business and Accounting Accreditation". Aacsb.edu. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "University Canada West (Profile Pages)". ACBSP. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 3 Apr 2014.
- Posted: Mar 14, 2011 9:52 PM ET (2011-03-22). "CBC News – The National – Go Public – Students derailed by private university". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Private university leaves students out – – Macleans OnCampus". Oncampus.macleans.ca. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- By JSteffenhagen (2008-11-23). "Private B.C. university sold – Report Card". Communities.canada.com. Retrieved 2011-03-29.
- "Students derailed by private university". CBC News. 2011-03-22.
- "Global News | Latest & Current News – Weather, Sports & Health News". Globaltvbc.com. Retrieved 2013-09-08.
- "Bogus varsities prey on Indian students". Hindustan Times. October 14, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University Canada West.|