Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
|Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology(Formerly University College of Enginering)|
|Type||Public Unitary Technical Educational and research university|
|Chancellor||Governor of Odisha|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. B K Nanda|
|Location||Sambalpur, Odisha, India
|Campus||231 acres (0.93 km2)|
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (VSSUT), formerly known as the University College of Engineering, Burla, is a University Grants Commission (India) (UGC) recognised Unitary Technical University located in Burla, Sambalpur, Odisha, India. It is one of the oldest technical institutes in India, founded as the University College of Engineering (UCE) in 1956. UCE Burla was officially renamed as Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology on 12 February 2009, as a result of a move by the Government of Odisha to accord it with the status of a unitary university. Before getting University status it was the 1st educational institute in Odisha to be granted 'Autonomous' status in the year 1991.In the year 2012 VSSUT was awarded 12B status by UGC.
- 1 Motto
- 2 History
- 3 Recognition
- 4 Campus
- 5 Administration and management
- 6 Admission Process
- 7 Academics
- 8 Faculty
- 9 Student life and culture
- 10 Alumini
- 11 Achievements of VSSUT family
- 12 Surroundings and connectivity
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
motto = सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा (Siddhirbhawati Karmajaa)
The motto of VSSUT is "Siddhirbhawati Karmajaa" (सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा in Sanskrit). The motto literally translates to "Efforts yields success" essentially implying that putting in effort in a proper manner and correct direction will beget success. It is sourced to Sri Krishna's discourse to Arjuna in Bhagavad Gita. This quote in its larger context of Gita urges man to acquire equanimity because such a soul endowed with the mind of equanimity allows him to shed the effects of his good and evil deeds in this world itself. Equanimity is the source of perfection in Karmic endeavors while leading to Salvation.
Foundation and vision
Situated at the foothill of world famous Hirakud dam, the early history of the University is a fascinating chapter in the story of technical education in Odisha. The primary objective was of establishing the engineering college is to produce engineers who can manage Hirakud Dam. UCE was established on 12 August 1956 with three departments – Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering. At that time the current building was not finished so the college started in a building now known as the Bharati Club, and students lived in the quarters of the Hirakud Dam project.
Established on 12th Aug. 1956, at Burla in the name of University College of Engineering (UCE), the first engineering college was functioning as a constituent college of Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. UCE got transferred to the administrative control of Sambalpur University in January 1967 and later on to Biju Patnaik University of Technology (BPUT) by BPUT Act-2002 in July, 2002.
Its transformation from a constituent college of BPUT into a Unitary university was not an easy journey. For achieving this the VSSUT family wad to fight their way out of the never ending red tapes and procastination of the Government setup. After observing that the methods of memorandums and petitions turning futile they had to finally resort to the Gandhian method of hunger strike which lasted a full month before Government of Odisha finally giving in to the demand of 'Unitary University' status for University College of Engineering.
All the engineering courses of the University are AICTE approved.
The campus covers an area of 203 acres (0.82 km2) with a maximum expansion capacity as per the land alloted to it is 503 acres (2.04 km2).It is situated in the hills near the River Mahanadi. Located near the Hirakud Dam, the University is a few hundredmeters away from the intersection of NH-06 and NH-42.The access route from NH-06 travels up to the Golden Jubilee gate at the entrance of University.
To the left of the gate stands the University library, the oldest and the largest technical library in Odisha, while to the other side there is the college auditorium. The campus encompasses department buildings, the Administrative Block, a workshop, a central internet facility, and a number of laboratories. The University has a gymnasium and yoga centre for its students. The campus has a playground and courts for basketball, volleyball, tennis, and badminton.
VSSUT has conducted already 4 of its convocations the 1st on 25 February 2010 , the second on 9 October 2010,the third one on 6 August 2011 and the fourth on 14 December 2012
Administration and management
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)|
Admission to the academic programs mentioned is awarded through performance of candidates in state or national level tests and on the basis of the applicant's prior academic record.Admissions to various Masters programmes offered are conducted by University. However, the students to B.Tech as well as MCA Programme get admitted through Odisha Joint Entrance Examination(OJEE) conducted by Government of Odisha. Very soon the university is planning to organise its own entrance exam for all of its academic programs.
The University offers a range of under- and post-graduate programs in engineering and natural sciences The following academic programmes are available at VSSUT:
- Bachelor of Technology(B.Tech)
- Master of Technology(M.Tech)
- Master of Science(M.Sc.)
- Master in Computer Application(MCA)
- Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.D.)
The university confers the degree of Bachelor of Technology, (B. Tech) in the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering(120 Seats)
- Mechanical Engineering(120 Seats)
- Electrical Engineering(120 Seats)
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering(60 Seats)
- Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering(120 Seats)
- Computer Science and Engineering(60 Seats)
- Information Technology(60 Seats)
- Production Engineering(60 Seats)
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering (60 Seats)
It is expected that VSSUT will increase its intake capacity by about 350 seats in B. Tech in 2013.
Post-graduuate and doctoral education
The University has a QIP Centre for Ph.D. programmes in engineering disciplines. The University admits full time Scholars to the Ph.D. Programmes in Engineering disciplines as well as in the field of Applied Sciences. VSSUT also has provisions for pursuing Master in Computer Application (MCA).
Education system and Student Evaluation
Semester system is being followed for both Undergraduate and Post graduate programmes. Medium of Instruction and teaching is English. The syllabus is updated at regular intervals keeping an eye to the advancements in technology and need of the industries VSSUT has strict rules for grades.Depending on the course the evaluation is based on participation in class, attendance, quiz, exam and/or paper. Continuous evaluation is done by course instructors. The Evaluation System of VSSUT which is also used in many other national and state institutions is the Semester Grade Point Average(SGPA) with a scale from 0 to 10 which is converted to letters:
|Grade||Grade Pts||in Words|
CGPA then gets calculated as the cumulative credit-weighted average of the grade points: CGPA = (Σ Ci • GPi) / (Σ Ci) where: N is the number of courses Ci is credits for the ith course GPi is grade points for the ith course sGPA is the cumulative grade point average
The SGPA is not the same as the American one. In India some credits might be awarded during Bachelor studies for Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Activities, while during the Master Programme this is not allowed. Through agreements with numerous national organisations, VSSUT grades are accepted from many national organisations like IITs, NITs,IISc Banglore and IIMs.
Additional the attendance of the students is evaluated with VG for very good (always present), G for good (not present every lecture) and P for poor (student was present less than 75% of lectures)
Some of the faculty honors are:-
- Dr P.K.Hota (Reader of Electrical Dept.) has been selected to be listed in “The Contemporary WHO’s WHO” 2002-2003 published by The American Biographical Institute , USA on the basis of merited accomplishment and success in contemporary Society.
- Dr. S. Mishra (Reader of Electrical Dept.) has INSA Medal for Young Scientist (2002)” given by Indian National Science Academy , New Delhi.
- Dr. S. Mishra (Reader of Electrical Dept.) “Young Engineers Award - 2002” given by Indian National Academy for Engineers, New Delhi.
Student life and culture
Some of the student residences are:
- Atri Hall of Residence (formerly the East Hostel)
- Kratu Hall of Residence (formerly the West Hostel)
- Vasistha Hall of Residence (formerly the North Hostel)
- Marichi Hall of Residence (formerly the South Hostel)
- Angira Hall of Residence (formerly the Ladies' Hostel)
- Pulastya Hall of Residence (under construction)
- Arundhati Hall of Residence (formerly the New Hostel)
- Vishakha Hall of Residence
- Anuradha Hall of Residence
Student bodies and societies
The Students' Cultural Association organises debates, quizzes, indoor games, Ganesha Puja, and Saraswati Puja. The Social Service Guild and Students' Aid Fund renders temporary loans to needy and deserving students and organises social welfare activities.In this regard the students of VSSUT have started Sanskar Kendra which takes care of the education of a naerby village named Kirba. The Dramatic Association presents theatrical performances, variety shows, and other productions which exploit and develop the musical and histronic talents of the students. The Music Club provides cultural activities with opportunities for staff and students to develop their musical talents. Other clubs and groups include:
- Athletic club
- ATHENA-Art and photography club
- Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology Literary Society(abbreviated as VSSUTECLITS)
- Audio-visual club
- Robotics club
- India Society for Technical Education chapter for staff and students
- National Service Scheme
- Departamental engineering societies
- QUIZZINE-Quiz club
- Vibranz-Dance club
- Souls-Singing club
The festivals generally takes place during the even semester,i.e., during the month of January to March. The technical festival, called the Samavesh, brings together thousands of engineering and applied science students from all over the country to exhibit their innovative designs, prototypes, and products, and also present technical papers. The university also holds the annual cultural festival, VaSSaUnT. Other fests that are organised in the University are:
Emouvoir: Annual Dramatics Fest
Utkarsh: Annual Socio-Management Fest
Illumina: Annual Sports Meet
Various departments have their individual festivals/annual meets. Annual departmental festivals include:
- Innova: Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Sthaapna: Department of Civil Engineering
- Techtronix: Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Srujan: Department of Computer Science and Applications
- Resonance: Department of Electrical Engineering
- Gamut: Department of Manufacturing Science and Engineering
Other meets and events
VSSUT also organises Global Alumni Meet (GAM) annually which a significant event in the University's calendar.The Global alumni meet is an event to unite all the alumni VSSUT/UCE Burla across the globe at VSSUT Burla campus to refresh the golden memories of their student days and strengthen the interaction between alumni, faculty and current students.The first Global Alumni Meet (GAM) of VSSUT, Burla was held on 12 and 13 January 2013 in the University Campus at Burla which was graced by the presence of Shri Naveen Patnaik, present Chief Minister of Odisha and Prasanna Acharya, Present Finance Minister of Odisha.
One the most active alumini at present is Er. Ashesh Kumar Padhy who has always taken keen interest in development of the University. Currently he is the Asisstant Vice President of Vedanta Alumina Ltd.
- Others include:
- Sanjay Burman, recipient of Scientist of the Year Award for his contribution to AI research in DRDO
- Sanjay Mishra, author and program manager at Microsoft
- Naren Sahoo, inventor of ST micro
- Arup Nanda, president of Proligence in CT, USA. Awarded the Enterprise Architect of the Year by Oracle.
- Kishan Dev Kumar, Associate Professor & Canada Research Chair in Space Systems, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Ryerson University
Achievements of VSSUT family
Some of the students honors are :-
- All India Rank 2 & 3 for 3 consecutive years in GATE.
- 13th position in ACM Programming Contest - 2002 held at IIT Kanpur.
- Team Veerracerss secured 11th rank among 174 teams in the virtuals of SUPRA-SAE(a national event) virtual simulation round, held at KIIT University(2013).
- Team veers ranked 51st in 2011 and rank 55th in 2012 in BAJA SAE
Surroundings and connectivity
VSSUT, Burla lies at the foot of HIRAKUD DAM, at the intersection point of NH-5 and NH- 40.With well linked rail- roads it is reachable by two major stations, Hirakud Station (2 km) and Sambalpur Station (10 km). It is connected to airways network through Bhubaneswar Airport (4 hrs journey) and Raipur Airport(8 hrs. journey).
- "UCE becomes Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology". OdishaLinks. 18 December 2008. Retrieved 22 December 2008.