University College of Football Business
|University College of Football Business|
|Location||Burnley and Wembley, United Kingdom
|Affiliations||Buckinghamshire New University|
University College of Football Business (UCFB) offers university degrees and executive education in the football business and sports industries. The university provides degrees, lecture series, workshops and executive speakers as part of their approach to higher education. UCFB has active involvement in the football and sports industry organisations such as the Professional Footballers Association (PFA), Premier League, The Football League, The Football Association (FA), Scottish Professional Football League, Umbro, BBC Sport, ITV Sport and Sky Sports providing a unique experience for students.
The Provost & Chief Executive is Philip Wilson.
UCFB has two locations:
UCFB Burnley opened in 2011 at Burnley Football Club. Turf Moor stadium maintains its importance in the global football world as one of the founding members of the football industry in 1882. Students are offered work placement opportunities, offering financial support alongside their studies. Her Majesty The Queen and Prince Philip visited UCFB Burnley during their tour of Turf Moor and Burnley Football Club as part of the Jubilee Celebrations.
UCFB Wembley will open in 2014 at Wembley Stadium, home of English football and sports. UCFB Wembley will have around 1,500 students within five years. There is the opportunity to be interviewed for placements and work experience such as event day employment, which allows students to gain experience and offers financial support.
These on-site locations provide UCFB students with the unique experience of living, learning and working within the football and sports industry during their studies.
UCFB provides students traditional academic studies within the context of an industry for which they have a genuine passion and interest. UCFB offers:
- BA (Hons) Football Business & Finance
- BA (Hons) Football Business & Marketing
- BA (Hons) Football Business & Media
- BA (Hons) International Football Business
- BA (Hons) Sports Business & Coaching
- BA (Hons) Sports Business & Sports Law
- BA (Hons) Sports Business, Retailing & Merchandising
- BSc (Hons) Sports Psychology
- BA (Hons) Stadium & Events Management
Students engage with senior industry and sector specialists through the Executive Speaker Series. The UCFB Strategic Leadership & Management Programme is led by Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive of the Scottish Professional Football League.
Pastoral care & development
Students are supported by an Academic Mentor and a Pastoral Mentor to support personal and academic development across the three years of study.
UCFB offers a professional diploma in Rugby League Business Management which is led by former Great Britain and Oldham player Terry Flanagan. The course provides a learning bridge to management skills for established professional players.
UCFB’s academic partner is Buckinghamshire New University which will validate the academic degrees. Buckinghamshire New University has raised awareness of its status and interests by a partnership with London Wasps, the Aviva Premiership professional rugby union club that shares a ground with another of the University’s partners, Wycombe Wanderers Football Club. Many students have enhanced their job prospects through partnerships created with bodies such as The FA and professional clubs such as Reading FC. As the football industry finds creative ways of working in partnership with other sports and with universities, the experiences of Buckinghamshire New University makes a practical difference to the career ambitions of UCFB students.
- "Wembley Stadium is home to new football college supported by Bucks New University". Buckinghamshire New University 2013.
- Brown, Jonathan (December 9, 2010). "Lessons in the beautiful game: True fanatics can now enroll in a degree in football". Independent.
- "UK university to offer only football business degrees". BBC. June 10, 2011.
- "Wembley announced as second home for Burnley’s UCFB". Burnley Express. February 27, 2013.
- "RLWC2013 harnesses local talent at UCFB". Rugby League Central. October 3, 2013.
- Daydy, Graham. "By Royal appointment". Total Football Magazine.
- "Queen's Diamond Jubilee tour reaches Lancashire". BBC. May 16, 2012.
- "UCFB in landmark deal with Wembley Stadium". FC Business (magazine).
- "UCFB Wembley launched". theFA.com. February 26, 2013.
- "The degree courses on offer". UCFB.
- "Top agent offers transfer insight to university students". Total Football Magazine.
- "Wolves star signs up to diploma". Warrington Guardian. May 21, 2013.
- "From the scrum to the classroom". BSkyB. June 6, 2013.
- "Alastair Campbell praises Burnley football university". BBC. June 11, 2011.