University College of Medical Sciences
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2010)|
|University College Of Medical Sciences|
|Motto||'We Dare To Care'|
|Campus||Dilshad Garden, 110095 (Urban)|
University College of Medical Sciences or U.C.M.S - along with Maulana Azad Medical College and Lady Hardinge Medical College - forms the trifecta of Medical Institutes affiliated to the University of Delhi in Delhi, India. It is associated with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital,Dilshad garden which serves as the teaching hospital.
The University College of Medical Sciences was founded in 1971 by the efforts of the then Health Minister of Delhi. The Health Ministry proposed to provide medical education to every student who attained the eligibility criteria to study medicine. Even with the presence of two Medical Colleges in Delhi - MAMC and LHMC, many students were left out and denied the opportunity to study medicine. In 1971, classes for the new college initially started in the makeshift Department of Chemistry, Delhi University, North Campus. The students back then had their clinical postings (practicals) at the Meerut Medical College. Shortly afterwards, it was shifted to the Safdarjung Hospital in South Delhi. In 1986, UCMS shifted to its present location at Dilshad Garden and was associated with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, an 1100 bed hospital, as its teaching hospital.
On 5 April 2006, Human Resources Development minister of India, Arjun Singh, announced to the media that the government intended to introduce reservations for OBCs by 27% in central colleges, including IITs, IIMs, NITs, AIIMS, MAMC, UCMS, JIPMER, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Indraprastha University, Delhi University, and many others. Youth for Equality was conceived by students at the Boys Hostel of University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS) expressing discontent over the proposal; other founding members include students from AIIMS, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College, Maulana Azad Medical College in Delhi which later spread all across India.
- Two Hospitals- Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital(to be commissioned soon) (Tahirpur) and Delhi State Cancer Institute (DSCI) http://www.dsci.nic.in/ (Functioning), will come to be associated with UCMS. There are several programs regarding the overall development of the students, UCMS remains one of the only medical colleges in the country to encourage educating students about medical ethics and promoting undergraduate level research. Many of the reputed names in healthcare industry also belong to UCMS. Palash Sen and Aditya are the prominent names in music industry are the product of UCMS. Some emerging names in Healthcare industry from (Delhi)|Kashmiri Gate and Wazirabad Road from Delhi University, North Campus, Outer Ring Road
- Delhi Metro
- Jhilmil Metro Station - Further by Foot or Cycle Rikshaw. Soon To be connected by the Delhi Metro Feeder Bus Services
- Biostatistics & Medical Informatics
- Community Medicine
- Pathology 
- Forensic Medicine
- Medicine with Divisions of Nephrology and Endocrinology
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- M.B.B.S (5½ Year Undergraduate Medical Degree)
- M.D (3 Year Post Graduate Degree) in all Departments except Psychiatry
- M.D.S. (Paedodontics and Preventive Dentistry)
- D.N.B Neurosurgery
- B.Sc Radiology
- M.Sc. Radiology
- Pre Clinical Classes (Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry) for students of Affiliated Physiotherapy Colleges
- M.B.B.S - Seats: 150
- CBSE All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT) - 15% seats are filled in Central Quota through AIPMT, 85% seats are reserved for students applying from Delhi. All seats are awarded on the basis of merit.
- Post Graduation - Seats in process of an increase; Current-100
- Delhi Post Graduate Medical Entrance Test (DUPGMET) - 50% seats
- All India PG Entrance Exam (AIPGEE) - 50% seats
- No auditorium
- Lecture Theatres
- Four air-conditioned lecture halls with audio-visual facilities.
- Three lecture halls with a seating capacity of 176 each and provided with a side room and a projection room.
- One lecture hall with a seating capacity of 80 only.
- An air conditioned examination hall with a seating capacity of about 150.
- Central Animal House
- Central Warehouse
- Medical Education Unit
- Nursing School
- G.T.B. Hospital
- Delhi State Cancer Institute
- Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital (to be commissioned soon. )
- Central Workshop
'Residential Campus' UCMS and GTBH Dilshad Garden Delhi - 110095
- Two Boys Hostel - New boys Hostel for first year students; Old boys Hostel for all other years..
- Girls Hostel
- Junior Resident Hostel
- Senior Resident Hostel
- Official residence for MS and Principal
- Nurses Hostel
- Flats for Teachers and Professors
- Flats for Workers
- UCMS organised first ever 'Theatre of the Oppressed' workshop for medical students in India in 2011. Infinite Ability of Medical Humanities Group organised this.
Other facts about the Institute
- It is also the Nodal Center for AIDS in Delhi along with Safdarjung.
- It is the only one of just three Public Trauma center in Delhi apart from Susruta Trauma Centre, Jai Prakash Narayana Trauma Centre at AIIMS.
- It also has a fully equipped Burns Ward.
- Gupta, R; Singh, S; Kotru, M (2011). "Reaching people through medical humanities: An initiative.". Journal of educational evaluation for health professions 8: 5. doi:10.3352/jeehp.2011.8.5. PMC 3110875. PMID 21716596.
- Gupta, S; Singh, S (Jul 21, 2011). "Confluence: understanding medical humanities through street theatre.". Medical humanities 37 (2): 127–8. doi:10.1136/jmh.2010.006973. PMID 21778289.
- Singh, S (May 2012). "Broadening horizons: looking beyond disability.". Medical education 46 (5): 522. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2012.04246.x. PMID 22515781.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Delhi.|