University Heights Bridge
|University Heights Bridge|
Seen from the Harlem River
|Other name(s)||207th Street Bridge|
|Locale||Manhattan and the Bronx, in New York City|
|Maintained by||New York City Department of Transportation|
|Total length||268 feet (82 m)|
|Longest span||227 feet (69 m)|
|Opened||January 8, 1908|
|Daily traffic||43,601 (2011)|
The University Heights Bridge crosses the Harlem River, connecting West 207th Street in the Inwood neighborhood of Manhattan to West Fordham Road in the University Heights section of the Bronx. The bridge is operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Transportation. The bridge carries two lanes of traffic in each direction, along with a sidewalk on the south side of the bridge. It may have once carried the now-decommissioned New York State Route 9X.
The first swing bridge on this site had been a previous incarnation of the Broadway Bridge that was being replaced by a new double-level bridge. In June 1906, the old bridge was floated down the river and placed on a newly constructed center pier. After all the approaches and other construction were completed, the bridge opened to traffic on January 8, 1908. The designer was Alfred Pancoast Boller.
A new bridge was constructed between 1989 and 1992 to replace the decaying previous structure.
On June 12, 2008, the New York City Bridge Centennial Commission organized a parade to mark the centennial anniversary of the bridge. The event was attended by Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrión, Jr. and Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer.
The University Heights Bridge carries the Bx12 bus route operated by MTA New York City Transit, which operates as a local and as a form of bus rapid transit branded as the Bx12 Select Bus Service. The route's average weekday ridership is 45,039.
- "New York City Bridge Traffic Volumes 2011" (PDF). New York City Department of Transportation. March 2010. p. 86. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "New York City: State and U.S. Roads". nycroads.com. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- "West 207th Street/University Heights Bridge Over Harlem River". New York City Department of Transportation. Retrieved 2010-06-27.
- "University Heights Bridge". nycroads.com. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- Kigner, Elise (June 24, 2008). "University Heights Bridge Turns 100". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "Bronx Week Listings". Norwood News. June 12–25, 2008. p. 11. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "Average Weekday NYC Transit Bus Ridership". MTA New York City Transit. 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
Media related to University Heights Bridge at Wikimedia Commons
- NYCDOT: West 207th Street/University Heights Bridge Over Harlem River
- NYCRoads.com - University Heights Bridge
- King Bridge Company Museum: University Heights Bridge
- NYC Bridge Centennial Commission - University Heights Bridge