University School of Jackson
|University School of Jackson|
|Jackson, Tennessee, United States|
|Head of School||Stuart Hirstein|
|Color(s)||Red and Columbia Blue|
|Athletics||basketball, baseball, football, soccer, tennis, golf, track and field, cross country, trap shooting, volleyball, cheerleading, bowling|
University School of Jackson (USJ) is a college preparatory school located in northern Jackson, Tennessee, that educates students from pre-kindergarten through the 12th grade. It is located at 222 McClellan Road between various pockets of new suburban neighborhoods.
Old Hickory Academy and Episcopal Day School began as two separate schools in 1970 Old Hickory Academy was an independent, non-church-related school which included primary education through a high school curriculum. Episcopal Day School was a smaller, parochial school which emphasized primary education, but had begun a high school program by 1986, enrolling grades nine and ten. In 1987 the two schools consolidated, forming University School of Jackson.
University School of Jackson uses a college preparatory curriculum. Students are taught on two adjacent campuses: the Lower School campus and the Middle and Upper School campus.
The Lower School accepts students who are 2 years old by August 15 in its Junior Cubs program. Grades include Junior Cubs, Cubs, Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten and First through Fifth Grade. Enrichment programs include character education, foreign language, library, music, physical education, technology, visual arts and elementary science lab.
Middle School students are sixth through eighth graders Enrichment programs include art, band, computer studies, foreign language, literature, music and physical education.
Upper School students are ninth through 12th graders. In addition to college preparatory high school classes, USJ offers 15 Advanced Placement classes. Students also can join a variety of extra-curricular clubs.
In 2007, the Interim Head of School, Don Coffey, was replaced by Clay Lilienstern, who came from Episcopal High School in Houston, Texas. In 2008, Upper School Director Dr. Roland Prudhon retired after 10 years.
Lower School students join community recreation leagues. Students have physical education classes through Eighth Grade.
In Upper School, the fine arts curriculum includes drama, band, chorus, and visual art classes. USJ offers AP Studio Art and AP Music Theory. Each year, the Upper School stages two musical productions, band and vocal concerts, a student-designed fashion show with clothing made from recycled materials and other productions. Band students make up much of the live orchestra for musicals and have the opportunity to perform in several groups, including a jazz ensemble and pep band.
Students also perform in theater and musical productions, which include art students helping with sets and band students in the orchestra. Band students have opportunities to perform in several groups, including a jazz ensemble and pep band.
- "Faculty and Staff Overview". University School of Jackson.
- "West Tennessee's College Preparatory School". University School of Jackson.
- "Old Hickory Academy: 1970-1987". University School of Jackson.
- "Episcopal Day School: 1970-1987". University School of Jackson.
- "University School of Jackson, 1987+". University School of Jackson.
- "Admissions". University School of Jackson.
- "Lower School Curriculum". University School of Jackson.
- "Middle School Curriculum". University School of Jackson.
- "AP Courses". University School of Jackson.
- "Student Organizations". University School of Jackson.
- "Administration". University School of Jackson.
- "USJ Appoints New Head of School". WBBJTV. Feb. 25, 2013.
- "University School of Jackson Leadership". University School of Jackson.
- "Athletics". University School of Jackson.
- "Fine Arts". University School of Jackson.