|Rector||Prof.Dr. Erkan İBİŞ|
Ankara University was founded by Atatürk. The School of Law was established in 1925 to train judiciaries, the Institute of Technology for Agriculture in 1933, the School of Language, History and Geography in 1935 and the already existing School of Political Sciences (that trained public administrators under the name of Mekteb-i Mülkiye since 1859, and which was later on moved to Ankara) in 1936 upon the directive of Atatürk. The Schools of Medicine and of Science were established in the 1940s.
Ankara University, comprising the Faculty of Law (1925), the Faculty of Language, History and Geography (1935), the Faculty of Science (1943), and the Faculty of Medicine (1945), was established officially in 1946. The University acquired the Faculties of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine which previously belonged to the Institute of Technology for Agriculture. The School of Divinity was founded in 1949 and the Faculty of Political Sciences in 1950, then came the School of Pharmacy in 1960, and in 1963 the School of Dentistry which later became a Faculty in 1977, the Faculty of Educational Sciences in 1965, and the Faculty of Communication in 1965. The Çankırı Faculty of Forestry and the Health Education Faculty were opened to education in 1996.
The 15 faculties are:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dental Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Health Education
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Political Sciences (Mekteb-i Mülkiye)
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Communication
- Faculty of Educational Sciences
- Faculty of Languages, History and Geography
- Faculty of Theology
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Sport Science
There are also 13 institutes included into the Ankara University. They are:
- Institute of Forensic Science
- Biotechnology Institute
- Institute of Educational Sciences
- Institute of Natural sciences
- Institute of Food Security
- Hepatology Institute
- Institute of Accelerator Technologies
- Stem Cell Institute
- Institute of Nuclear physics
- Institute of Health Sciences
- Institute of Social Sciences
- Water Management Institute
- Institute of Turkish Revolution History
Research, Application and Education centers
There are 41 Research, Application and Education centers in Ankara University.
- TÖMER. In 1984 Turkish and Foreign Languages Research and Application Center, TÖMER, was established on the basis of Ankara University. To the February, 2014, TÖMER has had 11 branches all over Turkey and the central office in Ankara. Languages taught in TÖMER include Turkish, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Modern Greek, Dutch, Bulgarian, Chinese, Ottoman language, Arabic, Polish and languages of the Central Asian Turkic Republics. This list of languages constantly changes.
- Ankara University Kreiken Observatory. Construction of the Observatory started in 1959 and in 1963 it was officially opened in the frames of the International Astronomy Conference. Along with the scientific activities Observatory holds a number of educational events for children, school children and students. When important and rare astronomic events are taking place Observatory organizes the access to their observation to public.
- Ankara University Women Issues Research and Application Center (KASAUM). KASAUM organizes research and educational programmes which are directed at scrutinizing and discussing women roles and problems in society as well as gender issues as a whole. In order to support and develop these researches "Women researches" master programm was opened in 1996.
- Ankara University Small Entrepreneurship Research and Application Center (KIGAUM). KIGAUM holds research on problems connected to starting and maintaining small entrepreneurship activities. Along with it the Center organizes educational programes both for academicians and entrepreneurs, sets up partnerships with local and international research and application centers, publishes articles and books and informes academics, business, government structures and wide public on the topics linked to entrepreneurship.
- Ankara University Distance Education Center. The Center provides the opportunity of getting college or higher education as well as taking part in a variety of different courses distantly.
- Ankara University Center of Excellence of Superconductivity Research (CESUR). CESUR works in the sphere of fundamental superconductivity research, especially focuses on superconducting wires, tapes and thin films which can be used in application of practical superconductivity technologies. Main attention is paid to research of MgB2, BSCCO and YBCO materials.
- Ankara University European Research Center (ATAUM). ATAUM is an interdisciplinary research and training center founded to promote knowledge and understanding of the European Union (EU), its member states, and Turkey-EU relations. It was founded in 1987, the year in which Turkey applied to the European Community for membership.
- Ankara University Center of Earthquakes Research (ADAUM). ADAUM's main objective is to hold independent research of seismic activity in Ankara and its surroundings as well as in Turkey as a whole.
- Ankara University Psychiatric Crisis Research and Application Center (PKUAM). PKUAM was established on October 27, 1987. The Center organizes research in the sphere of psychiatric crisises and their prevention, suicide and its prevention. PKUAM is a reference agent of World Health Organization.
- Ankara University Brain Research Center (AU-BRC). The Center was founded on May 21, 2009. It organizes researches and scientifical events connected to the studies of a human brain. Scientists from such fields as linguistics, psychiatry, neurology, physiology and electrical engineering are working here together.
- Ankara University Latin American Research and Application Center (LAMER).The Center was opened in 2009 and is engaged in research of different economic, political, social and cultural issues taken place in Latin America. Researchers of the Center scrutinize Latin America's development and analyze the possibility of implication of Latin American countries' positive experience in Turkey. Other goals of LAMER are to educate specialists in Latin American problems; gather documents, books, etc. in the field of the research; hold conferences and educating events and establish and maintain relationships with consolates, museums, commercial organizations, etc. from and working with Latin American region.
- Ankara University Center of Research of Child's Culture (ÇOKAUM). The center was founded in 1994 by Prof.Dr. Bekir Onur. The Center unites specialists from the spheres of psychology, sociology, anthropology, history, communication, health, etc. ÇOKAUM's objectives are to organize and hold researches in the field of child's culture; organize and participate in conferences and other academic events in Turkey and abroad; inform specialists and public about child's culture and results of researches in this area.
- Ankara University Center of Research of South Eastern Europe (GAMER). The Center was founded in 2009. Geografically South Eastern Europe is a district placed between the Carpathians, the Black Sea, the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea and the Ionian Sea and Adriatic Sea. GAMER is organazing and holding research and educational projects on the topics connected with the cultural, historical, academic, economic, etc. aspects of the development of South Eastern Europe. The Center also provides consultancy on related matters and publishes its own scientific journal.
- Ankara University Center of Research of Turkish Geography (TÜCAUM). The Center started to work in 1990. Its goals are to organize and hold research of Turkish geography; to search for, gather and keep data from researches of Turkish geography made in other countries; to support projects of Turkish researches on the related topics and to create and maintain an archive of different materials connected to Turkey and its geography.
- Ankara University Research and Application Center on Political Psychology (POLPAUM).
- Ankara University Center for Environmental Studies.
- Ankara University Center of Old Age Research and Application Center (YASAM). The Center is organizing and taking part in research and projects connected to problems of aging, older people welfare etc.on at local and international level. Along with it The Center itself publishes and taking part in publications on the topics of social, economic, health and psycologic conditions of life of people of old age.
- Abdüllatif Şener - Leader of political party -former deputy prime-minister - former minister of finance
- Hakim Muhammad Said - He was a medical researcher, scholar, philanthropist, and a Governor of Sindh Province, Pakistan from 1993 until 1996
- Bülent Arınç - politician and former speaker of the parliament
- İsmail Hakkı Duru- Theoretical Physicist
- Deniz Baykal - politician and party leader
- Ataol Behramoglu - poet and university lecturer
- Osman Birsen - former CEO of Istanbul Stock Exchange
- Cengiz Çandar - journalist
- Hikmet Çetin - former speaker of the parliament
- Can Dündar - journalist
- Adnan Sezgin - former soccer player and current businessman
- Muammer Güler - Governor of Istanbul
- Aydın Güven Gürkan - Academician, socialist party leader
- Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu - Secretary-General of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference
- Erdal İnönü -academic and politician
- Mustafa Kalemli - Physician and politician
- Ahmet Taner Kışlalı - intellectual and former government minister
- Hayri Kozakçıoğlu - Province governor and politician
- Ferit Melen - former prime minister
- Adnan Menderes - former prime minister
- Murathan Mungan - author
- Tahsin Özgüç - archaeologist
- Engin Tuzun Paksoy - Professor of Plant Genetics
- Ismail Faruk Paksoy - Director, ESHOT, Izmir
- Ahmet Necdet Sezer - President of Turkey (2000–2007)
- Cemal Süreya - poet
- Tülay Tuğcu - Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Turkey
- Mehmet Keçeciler - former minister, politician
- Mehmet Görmez - Current president of the Presidency of Religious Affairs
- Murat Karayalçın - former Minister for Foreign Affairs; former Deputy Prime Minister and former Mayor of Ankara
- Sedat Laçiner - IR lecturer, Rector, columnist and Director of International Strategic Research Organization (USAK)
- Hasan Celal Güzel - former Minister of National Education
- Mehmet Hakkı Suçin - Arabist
- Mehmet Culum - novelist
- Nuray Szr - Professor
- List of universities in Turkey
- Ankara University, Law School
- Faculty of Political Science, Ankara University
- Ankara University Observatory
- (Turkish)List of Research, Application and Education centers of Ankara University
- (Turkish)Official site of TÖMER
- Official site of Ankara University Kreiken Observatory
- (Turkish)Official site of KASAUM
- (Turkish)Official site of KIGAUM
- Official site of Ankara University Distance Education Center
- Official site of Ankara University Center of Excellence of Superconductivity Research
- Official site of Ankara University European Research Center
- (Turkish)Official site of ADAUM
- (Turkish)Ankara University Psychiatric Crisis Research and Application Center's Official Site
- Ankara University Brain Research Center's Official Site
- (Turkish)Official site of Ankara University LAMER
- (Turkish)Official site of Ankara University Center of Research of Child's Culture
- (Turkish)Ankara University Center of Research of South Eastern Europe's Official Site
- (Turkish)Ankara University Center of Research of Turkish Geography. Official site.
- (Turkish)Ankara University Research and Application Center on Political Psychology. Official Site.
- Ankara University Center for Environmental Studies. Official Site.
- (Turkish)Ankara University Center of Old Age Research and Application Center. Official Site.
- Ankara University website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Languages, History and Geography website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Dentistry website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Farmacy website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Educational Sciences website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Science website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Law website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Theology website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Communication website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Engineering website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Health Sciences website (Turkish)
- Mekteb-i Mülkiye (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Sport Sciences website (Turkish)
- Ankara University School of Medicine website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Veterinary Medicine website (Turkish) (English)
- Ankara University Faculty of Agriculture website (Turkish)
- Ankara University Alternative Energy Team (Turkish)
- Ankara University Distance Education Center (Turkish)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ankara University.|