|Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana|
|Type||Public; Swiss University of Applied Sciences and Arts, Fachhochschule, Haute école specialisée|
|Rector||Franco Gervasoni, director|
|Students||3'681 (bachelors and masters) + 5'505 continuing education|
|Location||Manno, Canobbio, Brig, Landquart, Locarno, Lugano e Verscio, Canton Ticino, Switzerland|
SUPSI, the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland (Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana) is one of the Universities of Applied Sciences of the Swiss Confederation. SUPSI offers more than 30 bachelor and master courses, complementing theoretical scientific knowledge and practical technological advances applied to real projects. Various departments of SUPSI are based in Southern Switzerland, mainly near Lugano.
- 1 History
- 2 Organization and administration
- 3 Campus
- 4 Academics
- 5 Research
- 6 Notes and references
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
SUPSI was established on 11 March 1997 by Canton Ticino and it received federal recognition in 2003. The new institution integrates preexisting specialized schools and public and private research institutes which date back to 1852 with the Cantonal High School initiated by Carlo Cattaneo and providing higher education courses in mechanics and architecture.
In 1997 SUPSI integrates within its new organization:
- STS Electronic Engineering Section (established in Manno in 1993)
- SSQEA College for Financial and Administrative Managers (established by Canton Ticino in 1987 as a third cycle following the commercial schools)
- SSAA College of Applied Arts (established by Canton Ticino in Lugano in 1985 as a third cycle of the CSIA Educational Centre for Artistic Industry)
- ICIMSI Institute of Computer Integrated Manufacturing of Southern Switzerland (established in Manno in 1992 as a private-public initiative to develop applied research in support of industry)
- ICTS the Cantonal Experimental Technical Institution
- the Cantonal Office of Geology and Hydrology which becomes the Institute of Earth Science (IST).
In the following years other specialized schools and public and private research institutes were integrated:
- 1998 College of Social Work (established by Canton Ticino) becomes a department.
- 1999 IDSIA Dalle Molle Institute for Artificial Intelligence Research (established in Lugano in 1988); it is jointly run by Università della Svizzera italiana and SUPSI thanks to an agreement between the two institutions.
- 2004 Fernfachhochshule Schweiz (FFHS) based in Brig and with training centers in Basel, Berne and Zurich.
- 2006 Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana - Scuola Universitaria di Musica (Conservatory of Southern Switzerland/Ticino Music Conservatory)
- 2006 Scuola Teatro Dimitri (established in 1975 by the Swiss clown Dimitri as a school of movement theatre).
- 2007 Phsyiotherapie Graubünden (based in Landquart); Bachelor in Physiotherapy affiliated to the Department of Health Sciences.
Organization and administration
As a Swiss University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule, Haute école specialisée, scuola universitaria professionale), SUPSI is an autonomous organization, and it has a university status with a focus on professional training and applied research. Its four institutional mandates are first and second level university education (bachelor's degree and master's degree), continuing education, applied research and consulting and support services to businesses and institutions.
The governance of SUPSI is based on:
- SUPSI Council is composed of members nominated by the State Council of Canton Ticino and it has a mandate of strategic direction and control.
- SUPSI Board
- University administration includes the director, the head of shared services and the directors and deans of the departments and the associated schools.
- Departments and associated schools
- Consultative commissions. Each department and associated school has a Consultative Commission appointed by the SUPSI Board.
From a financial point of view, SUPSI is supported by Ticino cantonal contributions, contributions from the Swiss Confederation and is self-financing. The support of Canton Ticino is regulated by a performance contract based on the number of students enrolled and on the volume of projects acquired.
Departments and associated schools
SUPSI is organized in departments and associated schools. The associated schools are managed by private institutions, and they are integrated within SUPSI general administration. Departments include institutes, laboratories, and centres of expertise; they are organized in academic disciplines.
Due to the progressive integration of preexisting specialized schools and public and private research institutes, the structure of the departments changes through time
Department for Environment, Construction and Design
- Institute for Materials and Constructions
- Institute of Earth Sciences
- Institute for Applied Sustainability to the Built Environment
- Laboratory of Visual Culture
Department of Business and Social Sciences
The department is structured into basic training.
Department of Health Sciences
The departments works in basic training, continuing education, research and services.
- Medical Humanities Centre
Department of Innovative Technologies
The focus of the Department of Innovative Technologies is applied engineering sciences in the industrial sector, technological and IT services for both educational and research purposes. Within the department there are:
- Institute CIM (Computer Integrated Manufacturing) for Sustainable Innovation.
- AI Lab IDSIA Institute Dalle Molle for Artificial Intelligence.
- Institute for Information Systems and Networking.
- Institute for Systems and Applied Electronics.
- Institute of Systems and Technologies for Sustainable Production.
Department of Teaching and Learning
The department works in education, research and services.
- Scuola Teatro Dimitri.
- Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana.
- Fernfachhochschule Schweiz.
|Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design|
|Manno||Supsi Directorship, Department of Health Sciences, Department of Business and Social Sciences and Department of Innovative Technologies||Day nursery|
|Locarno||Department of Teaching and Learning|
|Lugano||Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana|
|Verscio||Scuola Teatro Dimitri|
The first SUPSI diplomas are awarded in 2000 in architecture, civil engineering, computer science, electronic engineering, interior design, visual communication, conservation and restoration, business administration and social work. In 2001 the Canton Ticino Chamber of Commerce for Industry and Craftsmanship, the Association of Ticino Industries, the Ticino Banking Association and by Ticino Section Swiss Construction Companies establish the Ticino Economy Prize (Premio dell'Economia Ticinese) for the best SUPSI graduates; in 2011 the Prize Talenthesis is established.
Undergraduate programme (Bachelor's degree)
|Architecture, Construction and Planning||Architecture||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Architecture, Construction and Planning||Civil engineering||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Design||Conservation||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Design||Interior design||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design/Laboratory of Visual Culture||Italian|
|Design||Visual communication||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design/Laboratory of Visual Culture||Italian|
|Business Management and Services||Business administration||Manno||Department of Business and Social Sciences||Italian|
|Teacher Training||Pre-primary school teacher training||Locarno||Department of Formation and Learning||Italian|
|Teacher Training||Primary school teacher training||Locarno||Department of Formation and Learning||Italian|
|Social Work||Social Work||Manno||Department of Business and Social Sciences||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Music||Lugano||Conservatorio della Svizzera italian||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Music and movement||Lugano||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Theater||Verscio||Scuola Teatro Dimitri||Italian|
|Health||Occupational therapy||Manno||Department of Health Sciences||Italian|
|Health||Physiotherapy||Manno||Department of Health Sciences||Italian|
|Health||Nursing||Manno||Department of Health Sciences||Italian|
|Health||Physiotherapy (Landquart)||Landquart||Department of Health Sciences||German|
|Engineering and IT||Computer science||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||Italian|
|Engineering and IT||Electrical engineering||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||Italian|
|Engineering and IT||Engineering and management||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||Italian|
|Engineering and IT||Mechanical engineering||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||Italian|
Graduate programme (Master's degree)
|Design||Conservation-restoration||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Design||Master of Arts in Interior-Architectural Design (IMIAD)||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||English|
|Design||Master of Advanced Studies in Interaction Design (MAIND)||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||English|
|Design||Master of Arts in Filmmaking (Regia cinematografica)||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design in the frame of Réseau Cinéma CH||English|
|Business Management and Services||Business administration||Brig||Fernfachhochschule Schweiz||German|
|Business Management and Services||Business administration||Manno||Department of Business and Social Sciences||Italian|
|Social Work||Travail social (Social work)||Department of Business and Social Sciences||Lausanne (mainly)||French|
|Teacher Training||Middle school teacher training||Locarno||Department of Formation and Learning||Italian|
|Teacher Training||Secondary school teacher training (upper middle school)||Locarno||Department of Formation and Learning||Italian (some lessons German, French)|
|Engineering and IT||Engineering||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||Italian, French, German, English|
|Engineering and IT||Informatics||Manno||Department of Innovative Technologies||English|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Music composition and theory||Lugano||Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Music pedagogy||Lugano||Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Music performance||Lugano||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Specialized music performance||Lugano||Department for Environment Constructions and Design||Italian|
|Music, Theatre and Art||Theatre||Verscio||Scuola Teatro Dimitri||Italian|
SUPSI provides further trainings and qualitifications:
- Master of Advanced Studies (MAS)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Diploma of Advanced Studies (DAS)
- Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS)
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Tax Law||Department of Business and Social Sciences|
|Executive Master of Business Administration||EMBA Executive Master of Business Administration|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Clinica generale|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Cultural Management|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Gestione sanitaria|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Human capital management|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Industrial Engineering and Operations|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS IT Management and Governance|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Library and Information Science|
|Master of Advanced Studies||MAS Mobile and Internet Applications|
|Diploma of Advanced Studies||DAS Gestione sanitaria|
|Diploma of Advanced Studies||DAS Indirizzo clinico|
|Diploma of Advanced Studies||DAS ICT Systems and Security|
|Master of Advanced Studies||Design||MAS Interaction Design||Canobbio||Department for Environment Constructions and Design/Laboratory of Visual Culture||English|
Notes and references
- 2011. Source: SUPSI in cifre: Rapporto annuale 2011, Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera Italiana, 2011, p. 105.
- 2011-2012. Source: SUPSI in cifre: Rapporto annuale 2011, Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera Italiana, 2011, p. 93 and 98.
- bachelors 2011-2012. Source: SUPSI in cifre: Rapporto annuale 2011, Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera Italiana, 2011, p. 93.
- masters 2011-2012. Source: SUPSI in cifre: Rapporto annuale 2011, Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera Italiana, 2011, p. 93.
- Those courses will stop in 1956, with the establishment of the Federal Polytechnic of Zurich.
- The website of the Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana http://www.conservatorio.ch.
- The website of the Scuola Teatro Dimitri http://www.teatrodimitri.ch.
- From the initial structure established in 1997, and the creation of a new department of Social Work in 1998, the departments were restructured in 2003 (departments of Environment, Construction and Design, Business and Social Sciences, Innovative Technologies), and they integrate previous inducements research institutes.
- The website of the Institute CIM (Computer Integrated Manufacturing) for Sustainable Innovationhttp://www.icimsi.ch/pages/icimsi_en/iCIMSI.jsp.
- The website of the Institute Dalle Molle for Artificial Intelligence http://www.idsia.ch.
- Premio Talenthesis http://www.supsi.ch/home/bachelor-master/talenthesis.html.
- Developed within a collaboration among Edinburgh College of Art ECA, Istanbul Technical University ITU, Polytechnic Lahti POLY LAHTI, University of Applied Sciences Stuttgart UASS, Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana SUPSI http://www.supsi.ch/lcv/formazione/master/interior-design.htm.
- the MAIND Program in Interaction Design merges knowledge coming from the design disciplines in a unique profile able to set new thinking in design, in the technological innovation and in the human needs. http://www.maind.supsi.ch/.
- Website of continuing education (Italian) http://www.supsi.ch/fc/.
- The research service on USI website http://www.usi.ch/en/universita/container_university_services/servizio_ricerca.htm.
- Education in Switzerland
- List of universities in Switzerland
- List of largest universities by enrollment in Switzerland
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SUPSI University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland.|
- Official website
- The University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland on the official website of Lugano