University of Balamand
||This article is incomplete. (July 2013)|
|University of Balamand
|Religious affiliation||Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch|
|Endowment||USD $54.500 billion|
|President||Elie A. Salem|
|Vice-president||George Nahas (planning and educational relations)
Nadim Karam (health and community relations)
Michel Najjar (development, administration and public affairs)
Tali' Bashour (medical affairs in the United States)
|Location||Balamand, El-Koura, Lebanon|
The University of Balamand (UOB; Arabic: جامعة البلمند) is a private, officially secular university located at El-Koura, Lebanon. It was founded by the Orthodox Patriarch Ignatius IV of Antioch in 1988. The university's main campus is adjacent to Balamand Monastery, but it has two other campuses in Beirut: One is in Sin el Fil, which houses the majority of the Lebanese Academy of Fine Arts, and the other is neighboring Saint George Hospital in Achrafieh, which houses the faculty for medicine and medical sciences.
Formerly, it was a project at the Koura District, which North Lebanon’s department came to continue as an inter-cultural message in 1988, and to fuse under its administration the Lebanese Academy of Fine Arts (ALBA) and Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology.
The University of Balamand was founded by the Patriarch through the concept of a Kouranian engineer called Elias Abi Shaheen, in which the concept formed between years 1983 and 1987, in the midst of the Lebanese Civil War. The project started soon after Governmental Clearance in 1988.
As of 2010, the Master Plan at the mount of long heritage in the Balamand region, is still incomplete.
The university consists of nine faculties since the year 2000, and they are as follows:
- Académie libanaise des Beaux-Arts (Found in both the main campus and Sin el Fil) (French/English)
- Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology (Arabic, English, and Greek
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (English, French, and Arabic)
- Faculty of Business and Management (English)
- Faculty of Sciences (English)
- Faculty of Engineering (English)
- Institut Universitaire de Technologie - ISSAM M. FARES (English/French)
- Faculty of Health Sciences (Found in both the main campus and the Achrafieh campus) (English/French)
- Faculty of Library and Information Studies English
- Saint George’s Faculty of Post Graduate Medical Education (Found in the Achrafieh campus) (English)
- Faculty of Medicine & Medical Sciences (Found in both the main campus and the Achrafieh campus) (English)
There are also plans for future faculties which include:
- Programs for arts and social sciences, business and management, engineering, health sciences for a new University of Balamand campus in Souk El Gharb.
- A seven-story Balamand hospital in El-Koura (to be constructed)
- a future museum containing some of the most important historical documents, old pictures, and precious artifacts of the Antiochian Patriarchate Heritage