University of Balamand
|University of Balamand
|Religious affiliation||Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch|
|Endowment||USD $54.500 billion|
|President||Elie A. Salem|
The University of Balamand (UOB; Arabic: جامعة البلمند) is a private, secular university located at El-Koura, Lebanon. It was founded by the Orthodox Patriarch Ignatius IV of Antioch in 1988. The university's main campus is adjacent to Balamand Monastery, but it has two other campuses in Beirut: One is in Sin el Fil, which houses the majority of the faculty for fine arts, and the other is neighbouring Saint George Hospital in Achrafieh, which houses the faculty for medicine and medical sciences.
Formerly, it was a project at the Koura District, which North Lebanon’s department came to continue as an inter-cultural message in 1988, and to fuse under its administration the Lebanese Academy of Fine Arts (ALBA) and Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology.
The University of Balamand was founded by the Patriarch through the concept of a Kouranian engineer called Elias Abi Shaheen, in which the concept formed between years 1983 and 1987, in the midst of the Lebanese Civil War. The project started soon after Governmental Clearance in 1988.
As of 2010, the Master Plan at the mount of long heritage in the Balamand region, is still incomplete.
The university consists of nine faculties since the year 2000, and they are as follows:
- Lebanese Academy of Fine Arts (Found in both the main campus and Sin el Fil) English/French
- Saint John of Damascus Institute of Theology Arabic, English, and Greek
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences English, French, and Arabic
- Faculty of Business and Management English
- Faculty of Sciences English
- Faculty of Engineering English
- Institut Universitaire de Technologie - ISSAM M. FARES English/French
- Faculty of Health Sciences (Found in both the main campus and the Achrafieh campus English/French
- Faculty of Library and Information Studies English
- Saint George’s Faculty of Post Graduate Medical Education (Found in the Achrafieh campus) English
- Faculty of Medicine & Medical Sciences (Found in both the main campus and the Achrafieh campus) English
There are also plans for future faculties which include:
- Programs for arts and social sciences, business and management, engineering, health sciences for a new University of Balamand campus in Souk El-Gharb.
- A seven-story Balamand hospital in El-Koura (to be constructed)
- a future museum containing some of the most important historical documents, old pictures, and precious artifacts of the Antiochian Patriarchate Heritage
See also 
|This Middle Eastern university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Lebanon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|