University of Bayreuth
|University of Bayreuth|
|Chancellor||Dr. Markus Zanner|
|President||Prof. Dr. Stefan Leible |
|Admin. staff||approx. 1,500 (2013) |
|Students||approx. 11.000 (2013) |
|Location||Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany|
|Colours||green and white|
The University of Bayreuth is a public research university situated in Bayreuth, Germany. It was founded in 1975 as a campus university focusing on international collaboration and interdisciplinarity. The university has an outstanding reputation in a broad range of disciplines and currently maintains a network of more than 450 international cooperations with research institutes and universities around the world. It is broadly organized into six undergraduate and graduate faculties, with each faculty defining its own admission standards and academic programs in near autonomy.
The university is renowned for offering several interdisciplinary courses such as Philosophy & Economics, Global Change Ecology, Theatre and Media studies, and Health Economics. The management, economics and law programs are ranked among the top degrees in Germany. In 2013 the university was ranked on place number 40 in the Times Higher Education world university ranking for universities founded less than 50 years ago. It is a member of the Elite Network of Bavaria (Elitenetzwerk Bayern), a coalition of leading research universities jointly offering graduate programs and international doctorate programs.
The University of Bayreuth is divided into six faculties:
- Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
- Biology, Chemistry and Geosciences
- Law, Business Administration and Economics
- Philology and Literature
- Cultural Sciences
- Bayreuth University Library
- Language Centre
- IT Service Centre
- Technical Support Centre
- Ökologisch-Botanischer Garten der Universität Bayreuth, the university's botanical garden
- Bayreuth International Graduate School of African Studies - BIGSAS
- Bavarian Research Institute of Experimental Geochemistry and Geophysics - BGI
- Bayreuth Institute of Macromolecular Research - BIMF
- Bayreuth Centre for Colloids and Interfaces - BZKG
- Research Center for Bio-Macromolecules - bio-mac
- Bayreuth Center of Ecology and Environmental Research - BayCEER
- Bayreuth Centre for Materials Science and Engineering - BayMAT
- Bayreuth Centre for Molecular Biosciences - BZMB
- Institute of Music Theatre Research - FIMT
- Bayreuth Institute for European Law and Legal Culture
- Andreas Voßkuhle, President of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
- Auma Obama, Half-sister of U.S. President Barack Obama
- Eberhard Bodenschatz, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
- Thomas Hacker, Leader of the FDP in the Bavarian Parliament
- Ulrike Gote, Parliamentary secretary of the Greens in the Bavarian parliament
- Maximilian Müller, German hockey player
Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg, German Federal Minister of Defence, was awarded a summa cum laude doctorate by the Faculty of Law, Business Administration and Economics in 2007. After extensive plagiarism in zu Guttenberg's dissertation was revealed in February 2011, German media also criticised the University of Bayreuth. A University spokesman has denied allegations of bribery and political corruption. The University cancelled the doctorate and Guttenberg was forced to resign.
- "Vom Studenten zum Präsidenten der Universität Bayreuth". University of Bayreuth. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- "Best for careers"
- "THE 100 under 50"
- "Elitenetzwerk Bayern"