University of Bristol Society of Change Ringers
|Headquarters||St. Michael on the Mount Without|
|Parent organization||University of Bristol Union|
|Affiliations||University of Bristol|
The University of Bristol Society of Change Ringers (UBSCR) is a change ringing society. UBSCR is associated with the University of Bristol and is affiliated to the University of Bristol Union. UBSCR was established in 1943 and has rung at St Michael on the Mount Without since 1948. Since 1950 there have been over 700 peals rung for the society.
UBSCR was founded in the Autumn Term of 1943 by Monica Richardson. Since then generations of student ringers have come and gone, contributing on the way to the development of the Society and its traditions.
The Society's first practice was held on 6 November 1943 at Long Ashton. In 1944 UBSCR moved to St Michael on the Mount Without. The Society’s first peal (5040 of Grandsire Triples) was rung on the 17th May 1947. Since then UBSCR has grown. Students and former students from the Bristol area are active members.
UBSCR holds and participates in many events throughout the course of each academic year, including the meetings of the Southern Universities Association and the Northern Universities Association, a tour organised with the Exeter Colleges Guild (The Joint Exeter Tour), a Summer Tour, Cupid Tour (organised by the current master) and a Christmas Party. The Annual Dinner is held on the 4th Saturday of January each year and is celebrated with ringing of peals and merriment.
The University Centenary
In 2009 the University of Bristol celebrated the centenary of being granted its Royal Charter. In celebration, Great George was rung for two minutes, and the bells of Bristol 'followed' Great George by ringing quarter peals and general change ringing. The UBSCR played a part in the celebrations of this event by ringing Great George and by helping with the other ringing.
- University of Bristol
- University of Bristol Union
- Southern Universities Association
- Northern Universities Association
- The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers
- Official UBSCR Website
- University of Bristol Website
- University of Bristol Union Website
- "List of University Change Ringing Societies". cccbr. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- Bliss, Mary; Andrew Agg, Patrick Bird and John Manley (1999). UBSCR: 1943-1999 - A History of the University of Bristol Society of Change Ringers. Andrew Agg. ISBN 0-9537588-0-X.
- "Peals of the UBSCR since 1950". pealbase. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "BBC News Article on the University's Centenary Ringing". BBC news. 2009-05-24. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- "Bristol University News Article on the University's Centenary Ringing". Bristol University. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- ""This is Bristol" News Article on the University's Centenary Ringing". "This is Bristol". Retrieved 06-10-2009.