University of Chicago Medical Center
|University of Chicago Medicine|
|University of Chicago Medical Center|
Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine
|Location||Hyde Park, South Side of Chicago, Illinois, U.S.|
|Hospital type||Inpatient and outpatient, specialty and primary care, teaching|
|Affiliated university||University of Chicago
Pritzker School of Medicine
|Emergency department||Level-I (pediatric trauma)
Level-II and Level-III (NICU)
|Lists||Hospitals in U.S.|
The University of Chicago Medical Center, also known under the umbrella of University of Chicago Medicine, is an American academic medical center in Hyde Park on the of South Side of Chicago, established in 1899. Affiliated with and operated by the University of Chicago, it serves as the teaching hospital for students of the institution's Pritzker School of Medicine.
Once known as the University of Chicago Hospitals, it was reorganized as the University of Chicago Medical Center in 2006, which it is still legally named. However, it operates under the umbrella of University of Chicago Medicine.
University of Chicago Medicine consists of:
- Center for Care and Discovery, the primary adult inpatient care facility (opened in 2013 at a cost of $700 million)
- Bernard A. Mitchell Hospital, adult inpatient care facility
- Comer Children's Hospital
- Chicago Lying-in Hospital, a maternity and women's hospital
- Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine, an outpatient care facility
- Pritzker School of Medicine
- The Knapp Center for Biomedical Discovery (KCBD)
- regional physician offices located throughout the Chicago area
In 2007, the University of Chicago Medical Center was again ranked among the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The 2010 rankings by U.S. News & World Report included the following 11 adult medical specialties: digestive disorders (6), cancer (15), endocrinology (18), kidney disease (21), respiratory disorders (21), heart (27), urology (28), geriatrics (29), gynecology (34), neurology and neurosurgery (36) and, ear, nose, and throat (38). Until 2012, it was the only hospital in Illinois ever to be included on the magazine's "Honor Roll" of the best hospitals in the United States, and has made this coveted list 10 times.
- "About Us - Fact Sheet: The University of Chicago Medicine". University of Chicago Medical Center. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "About the University of Chicago Medicine". University of Chicago Medical Center. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "2012 Press Releases: Frequently Asked Questions: University of Chicago Medicine Brand". University of Chicago Medical Center. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "America's Best Hospitals 2007: University of Chicago Medical Center". U.S. News & World Report. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved October 15, 2007.