University of Chittagong
|University of Chittagong|
Seal of the University of Chittagong
|Other name||Chittagong University|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Anwarul Azim Arif|
|Campus||Rural, 1,754 acres (7.10 km2)|
|Affiliations||Association of Commonwealth Universities|
The University of Chittagong (Chittagong University, CU, Bengali: চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a public research university located in the suburban area of the Hathazari, Chittagong district, Bangladesh. Established in 1966, the campus is 22km north of Chittagong city and is surrounded by hills and bisected by a small stream, which makes this university a famous tourist spot across the country. It is a multidisciplinary research university which ranks among the top public and private universities of Bangladesh. Currently, it is the third largest University in Bangladesh with more than 20,000 students and about 800 faculty members.
|University of Chittagong at a glance|
|Inauguration||18 November 1966|
|Location||Zobra village, Hathajari upajila, Chittgong
22 kilometer from Chittagong city
|Area||1,754-acre (7.10 km2)|
|Undergrad||BA, MA, B.Ed, BSc, MSc, MS, BBA, MBA, LLB, LLM, M.Ed, BSS, MSS, M.B.B.S.|
|Postgrad||M.Phil., Ph.D., M.D., M.P.H|
|Types||Male:6, Female:3, Coed:1|
|Other Staff||Officer:296, 3rd Class Staff:478, 4th Class Staff:1180|
The university was founded in December 3, 1965 by Professor A R Mallick (1918–97), Project Director, and two other employees in a house in Chittagong City. The Chittagong University Ordinance was enacted on 25 September 1966 and Professor Mallick was made Vice Chancellor simultaneously, a role which he assumed on 9 October 1966.
The university opened on 28 November with Master of Arts program classes for 200 students in the departments of Bengali, English, History and Economics under the department of Arts. Medicine, Engineering, Law, and Education were later incorporated as separate departments in colleges outside the university.
The Chittagong University Library is situated on the University Campus and has been housed in its own building since 1990, providing a total floor area of 56,700 sq ft. The library is managed by a 14 member Library Committee. At present, the library collection consists of about 350,000 books and over 40,000 bound journals.
Notable Faculty Members
- Jamal Nazrul Islam, Theoretical Physicist and Mathematician. Ex-Professor, Mathematics Department. Ex-Professor Emeritus and founding Director of Research Center for Mathematics and Physical Sciences (RCMPS).
- Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank, 2006 winner of Nobel Prize in peace. Former professor of Economics Department, initiated his project on micro credit in the adjacent area, Jobra.
Honorary Doctorate Holders
- Doctor of Science in 1981, Abdus Salam, Winner, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1979
- Doctor of Science in 2008, Jamal Nazrul Islam, Eminent Physicist, Mathematician, Astronomer, Cosmologist
- Education in Bangladesh
- List of universities in Bangladesh
- Dhaka University
- Rajshahi University
- Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology
- "Details of the University of Chittagong". University of Chittagong. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Official website
- Department of Geography and Environmental Studies
- Department of Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology
- Society for Leadership Proliferation
- Department of Marketing Studies & International Marketing