University of Curaçao
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
|University of Curaçao|
|Universiteit van Curaçao
Universidat di Korsou
|Motto||Pursuing excellence in values, knowledge, and skills|
|Rector||Dr. Francis B.G. de Lanoy|
|Former names||University of the Netherlands Antilles, Antillean College of Technology, College of the Netherlands Antilles, College of Law|
The University of Curaçao has existed in its present form since 1973. Its history, however, dates back to 1970, the year in which the Law College of the Netherlands Antilles was established by a national decree dated October 6, 1970 (O.B. 1970 no. 1130), to prepare students to take the LL.B. Antillean Law exam. The Law College became the College of the Netherlands Antilles in 1974, after a degree program in Business Administration was established. The Department of Business Administration was changed into the Department of Business Administration and Public Administration in 1977, after which students could also obtain a bachelor’s degree in Public Administration. Finally, with the foundation of the UNA in 1979 by a national decree dated 12 January 1979 (O.B. 1979 no. 12), the Antillean College of Technology (established 1972), was transformed into the Faculty of Engineering.
In 2011 the University of the Netherlands Antilles was renamed the University of Curaçao mr. dr. Moises Frumencio da Costa Gomez.
Faculties & Programs
- The Faculty of Law, preparing students for Bachelor (LL.B.) and Master(LL.M.) degrees in Curaçao law.
- The Faculty of Engineering, which offers Bachelor (B.Sc.) degrees in Architecture and Civil Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Information Engineering and Electrical Systems.In addition the faculty offers a Master (MBA) program in Technology Management.
- The Faculty of Social Sciences and Economics, which offers the professional Bachelor (B.ASc.) degree programs Business Administration (5 majors) and Fiscal Law & Economics, and scientific Bachelor degree programs in Accountancy & Control and Business & Economics. The faculty also offers Master (M.Sc.) degree programs in Accountancy & Management. In addition the faculty instructs an executive Financial Management Master program (XFM) in Cooperation with the Rotterdam School of Management at the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- The Faculty of Arts, which offers Educational Bachelor (B.A.) and Master (M.A.) degree programs in Papiamento, Dutch, Spanish and English, and Elementary teaching science (LOFO).
- The Faculty of Societal and Behavioral Studies, offering Bachelor and Master degrees in Social Work.
Since 2010, the university has been the seat of the UNESCO Caribbean Small Island Developing State Good Governance Chair.
- Dr. Mariano 'Pitosh' Heyden As. Professor University of Newcastle, Australia
- Ersilia "Zus" De Lannoy (former Minister of Finance)
- Zita Jesus-Leito (former Commissioner of Constitutional Affairs)
- Daisy Tyrol-Carolus (Former CEO of RBTT Bank NV. Curaçao)
- Rene Rosalia (former Minister of Education, Science, Culture & Sports of Curaçao)
- Lizanne Dindial (last Lieutenant Governor for Curaçao)
- Marius Römer (acclaimed lawyer in Curaçao)
- Saran Inderson (acclaimed lawyer in Curaçao)
- Eugene Maduro (model and TV host)
- Mike Eman (Prime Minister of Aruba)
- René Römer (CEO Curaçao International Financial Center and Dutch Caribbean Securities Exchange N.V.)
- Frank Martinus Arion
- Ronald E. Severing (Director of the Foundation for Language Planning)
- Johannes I.M. (Joop) Halman
- Frank Kunneman (vice president of the Government Advice Council)
- Wim Rutgers
- Valdemar Marcha (former CEO of ALM)
- Gilbert Cijntje (Political Scientist and Radio host)
- Emsley Tromp (Governor of the Bank of Curaçao & St. Maarten)
- Rutsel Martha (Former minister of Justice & Diplomat)
- Dr. Miguel Goede (Former Rector Magnificus)
- Amado Römer (Interim Reverend of the Jan Doret Parish, andfounder of the Algemene Credit Union)
- Antoin Maduro
- Donny Bakhuis
- Elis Juliana