University of Hawaii–West Oahu
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2010)|
|University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu|
Seal of the University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu
|Type||Public, co-ed state university|
|Students||2,344 (Spring 2015)|
|Location||Kapolei, Hawaiʻi, USA
|Colors||Red and Black|
The University of Hawaiʻi–West Oʻahu (UHWO), is a public university and one of ten branches of the University of Hawaiʻi system. It offers baccalaureate degrees in liberal arts and professional studies.
It opened in January 1976, and since 1981 has been fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Until 2007 the school offered only third- and fourth-year courses, and became a four-year university in that year.
A new campus opened in August 2012 for the 2012–2013 school year. The school was formerly near Leeward Community College, and moved just over 5 miles (8.0 km) to the west-southwest, to East Kapolei.
Bachelor of Arts degrees are offered in accounting, anthropology, emergency management, early childhood education, economics, English, business administration, public administration, Hawaiian-Pacific studies, health administration, history, justice administration, marketing, philosophy, political science, psychology, and sociology. The university also offers a bachelor of education in primary education and bachelor of applied science degrees in respiratory care, computer networking technology and culinary management.
Certificate programs are offered in forensic anthropology, disaster preparedness & emergency management, health administration and substance abuse & addictions studies.
The university offers baccalaureate degrees through distance learning programs in collaboration with University and Education Centers located on every Hawaiian island.
The student to faculty ratio is 11:1.
Recognitions & awards
The University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu was included on the 2010 List of Military Friendly Schools.
- UH West Oʻahu Chancellor's Office webpage/
- Office of the President - University of Hawaiʻi
- UH West Oahu Staff Directory
- Institutional Research & Analysis Office
- University of Hawaiʻi - West Oʻahu: Accreditation
- Midweek.com West Coverstory - April 4, 2007
- The New Campus - UH West Oahu
- , UH West O'ʻahu website: "Majors", retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- , University of Hawaii Systems Website, West Oahu Campus, retrieved November 15, 2009
- , City-Town Info website,
- , 2010 Guide to Military Friendly Schools, retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- , KGMB 9 News Hawaiʻi, retrieved on October 21, 2009.
- , University of Hawaiʻi System website, retrieved on October 21, 2009.